How Does the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X Stack Up?
I only had a few hours with the card, so we will be writing some follow up pieces on the Fury X with some GPU battles against a bunch of other cards we have here. This will include the 390X, GTX 980, GTX 980 Ti and Titan X - and then all over again in CrossFire and SLI.
For now, let's see how it compares with the Hawaii-based Radeon R9 390X, and NVIDIA's full array of GTX 900 series cards in the form of the GeForce GTX 960, GTX 980, GTX 980 Ti and Titan X.
Performance at 1080p
Starting with Battlefield 4 performance at 1920x1080 and the Medium preset, the Fury X is beating the GTX 980, but loses to the GTX 980 Ti. Moving up to the Ultra preset (minus AA), we see the HBM-powered card losing to the GTX 980 Ti by a considerable margin.
Moving over to GRID: Autosport, the Radeon R9 Fury X doesn't do too well at 1080p, where it can't beat the GTX 980. But things improve as the HBM climbs up to higher resolutions. In games where memory bandwidth is made to good use, HBM shows its true colors - starting with Metro: Last Light beating the GTX 980, but losing to the GTX 980 Ti by just 2FPS.
Shadow of Mordor performance is impressive on the Fury X, with 112FPS, losing to the GTX 980 Ti again by just 2FPS. In Thief, the Fury X beats the GTX 980, and loses to the GTX 980 Ti by 10FPS, or around 10%.
Performance at 1440p
I was expecting so much more out of the Fury X in Battlefield 4 at 1440p, but it loses quite badly to the GTX 980 Ti on the Medium preset. At 2560x1440, the Fury X begins to stretch its legs with GRID: Autosport - but it ultimately falls short of the GTX 970, 980 and every other high-end NVIDIA offering. But holy Metro: Last Light benchmark, Batman - where the Fury X demolishes everything else on our charts.
Shadow of Mordor continues that, with 86FPS against the GTX 980 Ti and its 83FPS, but loses to the Titan X and its 91FPS. Thief performance on the Fury X at 1440p was great, with 70FPS, against the GTX 980 Ti and its 72FPS and Titan X with 73FPS.
Performance at 4K
This is why we're all here - so strap yourselves in and prepare for 4K on Fury X. Battlefield 4 on the Medium preset at 4K sees the Fury X losing to the reference GTX 980, which is just sad. The GTX 980 Ti is out and ahead with close to 50% more frames per second. The Fury X does a little better with the Ultra preset, but it manages the same average performance as the R9 390X... let alone beginning to compete with the GTX 980 Ti. Shifting to Metro: Last Light, the Fury X scales right up to the heights of the GTX 980 Ti, but falls just 2FPS short once again, and 4FPS short of the Titan X.
But Shadow of Mordor takes the cake, with 78FPS compared to 65FPS on the GTX 980 Ti and 70FPS on the Titan X. On Thief, the Fury X, GTX 980 Ti and Titan X are all equal - with 48FPS.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Quick Specs and Availability & Price]
- Page 2 [Packaging & Detailed Look]
- Page 3 [Card Specifications & Cooling Setup]
- Page 4 [Testing Method & Test System Configuration]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 1080p]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - 1440p]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - 4K]
- Page 9 [Performance Summary]
- Page 10 [Overclocking, Power Consumption and Sound Testing]
- Page 11 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Spyro Reiginited Trilogy may get subtitles added soon
- Piccolo/Cell/Kenshin and Shishio added to Jump Force roster
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate post-launch rumor, more content?
- Switch SMITE scheduled for Jan 24th launch, pre-orders live
- Amazon depleted of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate stock
- Narrow bezel on a metallic chassis MSI PS42 14 Thin & Light Laptop Review
- is a supplement this is
- 'Koala Stoner Noir' Free Demo Released Today. Full Game Updated With New Map Location And Cinema Experience
- TRENDnet launches long-range PoE+ switches
- ADATA Launches Ultimate SU630 3D QLC NAND SSD
- Razer announces the BlackWidow Lite
- ASUS ROG Announces ROG Strix Radeon RX 590 Graphics Card