Samsung's SSD's are completely in-house products. Samsung flash, Samsung controller, and Samsung DRAM. Not needing any third party components gives Samsung an inherent advantage over the competition. In addition, Samsung currently enjoys a technological advantage over the competition and it shows.
The 500GB 850 EVO M.2 does not trade size for speed. A smaller PCB and less parallelism have virtually zero negative effect on the 500GB 850 EVO M.2's performance; it's every bit as fast as the 2.5" version, maybe even a bit faster. Overall, and RAPID aside, we have to say the 500GB 850 EVO M.2 SATA III SSD is the fastest SATA-based SSD we've ever tested. Samsung's TurboWrite technology and 3D flash combine to deliver performance that is a cut above. A TBW rating of 150TB, lowest in class power consumption, a five-year warranty and low cost of ownership are all just icing on the cake.
Because we perform most of our evaluations with the test subject running as our boot volume, we can comment on how the drive performed with our OS. The 850 EVO M.2 boots faster than any SATA based SSD we've used. Once inside Windows, the drive handles like a dream. It performs so well, there is a noticeable difference between it and most other SSD's. To be perfectly honest, we actually prefer the 500GB 850 EVO M.2 to the 850 Pro. Samsung's TurboWrite elevates TLC flash like nothing we've ever experienced and we would like nothing more than to see this technology implemented on the 850 Pro.
The M.2 form factor is more versatile than a 2.5" SSD and we find it the most appealing of all form factors. There is something to be said for a drive that just disappears into your motherboard. No data cable, no power cable, just a tiny 22mm x 80mm PCB. Samsung's 850 EVO is the best performing SATA-based SSD on the market, and the M.2 version is the best 850 EVO.
- Best performing SATA SSD to date
- Lowest power consumption
- RAPID Mode
- Low performance during an extended heavy-duty workload
Samsung's 500GB 850 EVO M.2 is a must have. We award it our highest rating and highly recommend it for your next SATA SSD purchase.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||97%|
|Bundle and Packaging||97%|
|Value for Money||98%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||98%|
The Bottom Line: Samsung does it yet again. The 850 EVO 500GB M.2 SATA III SSD lights up our charts and takes no prisoners. Oh yeah, it's cheap too.
PRICING: You can find the Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA III M.2 SSD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: The Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA III M.2 SSD retails for $194.99 at Amazon.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Drive Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Properties]
- Page 4 [Samsung Magician 4.6 and Samsung Data Migration Software]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks - ATTO & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 6 [Synthetic Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Trace Based OS Volume) - PCMark Vantage, PCMark 7 & PCMark 8]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - Max IOPS, Disk Response & Transfer Rates]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - 70/30 Mixed Workload]
- Page 11 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP) and RAPID]
- Page 12 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.