Crucial is aiming to replace your HDD with their BX100 SSD. If you have been on the fence, the BX100 could be just what you have been waiting for. It's cheap, it's fast, and it's reliable. If you have never used an SSD, then be prepared because it's everything you've heard and then some. Our time with Crucial's BX100 as our boot volume was even better than we expected. In fact, we would be hard pressed to notice much of a difference between it and a whole host of premium SSDs.
I imagine we will see Crucial's 500GB BX100 fall to $150 or even lower in the coming months, making it an incredible value, and the perfect avenue for you to experience life in the fast lane. If you have a computer that's a few years old, upgrading to an SSD will breathe new life into your rig. There is no CPU, DRAM, or any other upgradeable component that can do for you what an SSD can.
Let's talk for a moment about what we liked and disliked about Crucial's BX100 500GB SATA III SSD.
What we disliked: We would like to have a five-year warranty instead of a three-year warranty. We would also like bundled imaging software, although that is being a bit picky considering there are plenty of free tools available that can do the job.
What we liked: Premium components, quality build, exceptional light workload performance, superior transfer rates, and low cost of ownership.
We can recommend Crucial's 500GB BX100 without reservation. In fact, we recommend you get two BX100 drives and RAID 0 them.
PRICING: You can find the Crucial BX100 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT500BX100SSD1 for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||92%|
|Bundle and Packaging||85%|
|Value for Money||95%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||90%|
The Bottom Line: In our opinion, Crucial's BX100 SSD is a perfect avenue for those looking to ditch their outdated spinning rust buckets (hard drives) and move into the fast lane at a good price.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Drive Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details, Test System Setup, Array Properties]
- Page 3 [SSD Toolbox]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks - ATTO, Anvil Storage Utilities, CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks (Trace Based OS Volume) - PCMark Vantage, PCMark 7 & PCMark 8]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - Max IOPS, Disk Response & Transfer Rates]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 8 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung's new GDDR6 should power next-gen GeForce RTX 2080
- Resident Evil 2 Premium Edition costs a huge $900
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX overclocked to 6GHz with LN2
- Dishonored series is sleeping for now, says Arkane
- Bandai Namco may be making a new horror game
- Buy (2Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $800
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $2000
- RAID 0 on a really old Motherboard
- Z97-UD5H-BK: Modded BIOS for NVME support
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution
- NVIDIA to Collaborate with DARPA to Develop Systems for Post-Moore's Law Era
- New Turing-Based Design Revolutionizes Workflow of Millions of Designers and Artists on the Desktop and in the Datacenter
- Hybrid Rendering Fundamentally Changes Computer Graphics by Fusing Real-Time Ray Tracing, AI, Simulation and Rasterization
- AMD Launches World's Most Powerful Desktop Processor: Bigger, Better 2nd Generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper Processors Break Boundaries of High-End Desktop Market