Samsung's Best Smartphone Yet Also Feels Great
All of those internal specifications are great: we have an 8-core processor, 3GB of RAM, a QHD sAMOLED panel and so much more - but how does it feel in your hand? Samsung has crafted its most premium smartphone yet, replacing the pathetic plastic on its previous flagship smartphone with metal and the gorgeously smooth and super-protective Gorilla Glass 4.
It is the most luxurious handset I've ever felt, with both the front and back of the Galaxy S6 edge feeling absolutely incredible. I hate using superfluous words to describe the Galaxy S6 edge, but they're warranted. Samsung has earned respect here, and it needs to really be a point that is pushed across: Samsung has made one of the best designed smartphones ever with its Galaxy S6 edge.
There's a metallic band around the entire handset that makes holding the Galaxy S6 edge nice and comfortable, and it's thin enough with its 5.1-inch display that it never, ever feels too big. The same can't be said for the Galaxy Note 4 and its 5.5-inch display, or the iPhone 6 Plus with the same size 5.5-inch panel. Those two smartphones are far too big, and for all the things Apple did to get a bigger smartphone onto the market, the iPhone 6 Plus is just too big, and always felt too big and weird to hold.
Samsung has escaped all of that deploying the 5.1-inch display onto the Galaxy S6 edge, which is just absolutely the perfect display size for a smartphone. Anything bigger, and it would be too big. Anything smaller, and it would almost feel too small.
Not only has Samsung crafted one of the best smartphones out, but it has crammed it full of so many features that you probably won't use them all. We have incredibly fast LTE capabilities, fast-charging, wireless charging, a fingerprint scanner, heart rate monitor, and so much more.
Fast-charge: Starting with the fast-charging, I drained my Galaxy S6 edge on the first day I received it down to 13% from its out-of-the-box charge of 49%. I wanted to test out the fast charge capabilities, which is meant to provide around four hours of use from 10 minutes of charge. Within 1 hour and 15 minutes, I had a fully charged Galaxy S6 edge, which is pretty damn incredible.
Heart rate monitor: This isn't something that I would buy the phone for, but it's a nice touch for the S Health side of the phone. S Health in itself is a great health monitoring application that Samsung provides, with the heart rate monitor on the back of the S6 edge being put to good use.
Edge display: I have to admit: I didn't buy the Galaxy S6 edge to use the dual edge screen exclusively, but it's a nice touch. Right now, my Galaxy S6 edge is sitting to my right displaying the time and the date on the edge of its display. A nice touch, but it's not something I would exclusively purchase the S6 edge for.
Fingerprint scanner: The Galaxy S5 had a fingerprint scanner, but it was nowhere near as good, or anywhere near as convenient as the one on the iPhone. Samsung has upped its security game with the Galaxy S6 and S6 edge, where you place your finger or thumb onto the fingerprint scanner to unlock your device. The Galaxy S5 had you sliding your finger or thumb from the top of the fingerprint scanner, to the bottom, but the S6 and S6 edge do it much better, and it's about time.
Wireless charging: Finally! Samsung has seen the light of built-in Qi wireless charging - and as so many Internet memes put it: "It's About Damn Time". Wireless charging is something I expect from any flagship handset, so kudos to Samsung.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Switch has highest 12-month install base in US history
- PUBG's 'Event Mode' will have rotating game types and modes
- Custom Nintendo Switch Joy-Cons will come with a D-pad
- Nintendo debut eShop sale in North America and Europe
- Dying in Sea of Thieves will soon cost you in-game gold
- ADATA XPG Spectrix D40 RGB DDR4-3000 16GB Review
- (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $12,980
- GIGABYTE Z170MX Gaming5 non K overclock
- Buy (10 Pieces) Apple iPhone X Brand New Unlocked 64GB $7,490
- Corsair ML140 PRO RGB 140mm Magnetic Levitation Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit