How Does the VisionTek Radeon R9 270X 2GB OC Stack Up?
Even at 1080p, the VisionTek Radeon R9 270X OC fails to impress. This is not VisionTek's problem by any means, and it's not really AMD's, either. The Maxwell-based GeForce GTX 960 from NVIDIA is one hell of a GPU, something that AMD is going to need to address with its Radeon 300 series that is due soon.
Performance at 1080p
Starting with Battlefield 4 performance on the Medium detail at 1080p, the VisionTek Radeon R9 270X 2GB OC doesn't perform too badly at all, pushing out 99FPS average. The Ultra preset (minus AA) sees the card scoring 70FPS average, which is more than enough performance for anyone at 1080p on a 60Hz display.
GRID Autosport and Metro: Last Light have the card losing to the GTX 960, but the VisionTek Radeon R9 270X 2GB OC beats the GTX 960 in Shadow of Mordor, with 42FPS average compared to 34FPS average. A nice result for AMD's Radeon R9 270X GPU.
In the rest of our testing at 1920x1080, the VisionTek Radeon R9 270X 2GB OC loses to the GTX 960 in every other test.
Performance at 1440p
Starting with Battlefield 4 on our Medium preset, the card pushed out a respectable 64FPS average, but lost quite heavily to the GTX 960 with its 101FPS average. Bumping up to the Ultra (minus AA) preset, the R9 270X did even worse, with 48FPS average compared to the GTX 960 with 71FPS.
It loses again in GRID Autosport and Metro: Last Light, but wins again in Shadow of Mordor. Surprisingly, the VisionTek Radeon R9 270X 2GB OC has a much smaller gap at 1440p against the GTX 960 than it did in 1080p.
Performance at 4K
The Radeon R9 270X isn't the type of card you'd buy for 4K, but Battlefield 4 on our Medium preset at 3840x2160 performed well, with 34FPS average. Cranking it up to the Ultra preset (again, minus AA), we have 25FPS average, which isn't good enough (in our opinion at least) to run BF4.
When it comes to GRID Autosport and Metro: Last Light, the VisionTek R9 270X 2GB OC loses out to the GTX 960 by a decent margin on the former, but on the latter title, not so much - just over 10%. In Shadow of Mordor, the VisionTek card actually beats the GTX 960 by 10%. Thief, Tomb Raider and BioShock Infinite see similar results to the GTX 960, which is actually quite good. We're looking at around 30FPS average at 4K, which is nothing you can complain about.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Facebook stock drops $50 billion in two days, biggest ever
- GeForce 391.24 WHQL drivers: Game Ready for Sea of Thieves
- The Matrix launches on 4K Blu-ray on May 22
- GIGABYTE releases RX 580 Gaming Box, portable mining box!!
- NVIDIA powers 92.2% of VR gamers, leaves AMD with just 7.8%
- Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone X 64GB New Unlocked $4,245
- NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TRENDnet Four Channel DVR Kit Review
- Asus G75 won't boot
- ROG G75 won't boot bios
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit