Final Thoughts and Pricing
The greatest benefit of the Seek Thermal XR is its long range ability, however, it also does quite well up-close. Actually, its ability to capture fine details up close is why I will use the Seek Thermal XR in all my computer hardware reviews in lieu of the original Seek Thermal camera. The enhanced detail that the Seek Thermal XR provides over its predecessor is quite noticeable. The software is intuitive and the updates do make a difference.
Recently, Seek decided to improve rendering quality at the expense of refresh rates, which means that videos come through at lower frames per second compared to before. This isn't a big issue, as the improvements in the image quality are quite noticeable, and frankly welcomed. While before it might have been tough to distinguish objects in the image, now it is easy.
One thing Seek could do to further improve the functionality of the camera is to provide a temperature scale in the software, however, I think that would require processing power that the phone might not have since the scale would change in each frame.
I noticed that Seek increased the price of the Seek Thermal camera from $200 to $250 while introducing the Seek Thermal XR at $300. I honestly thought that $200 was a steal for the original model, as it was and still is the cheapest thermal camera you can buy. However, the extra $50 for the XR model is worth it if you need to take thermal images of objects very far away or very close up.
If you are taking images from 1 foot to 100 feet away, I would say that there is no difference between the two models, in fact, you wouldn't benefit from the focus ability of the XR since the internal shutter would take care of that. However, if you need to take macro images or images from far away, then the Seek Thermal XR should be considered over its predecessor.
PRICING: You can find the Seek Thermal XR Extended Range Thermal Imager, Android (UT-AAA) for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||95%|
|Bundle and Packaging||95%|
|Value for Money||95%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||93%|
The Bottom Line: Overall the versatility that the SEEK Thermal XR's lens provides, the features the software has, and the periodic updates make this thermal camera one of the most useful little gadgets one could have in their arsenal.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Because science: sperm used to deliver cancer drug to tumors
- Battlegrounds replay function tested ahead of v1.0 release
- Samsung's mid-range 2018 phones might feature 18:9 displays
- Far Cry 5's new trailer drops, shows off 'The Resistance'
- Bad Company 3 could be joined by new Battlefield set in WWII
- Patriot Viper V570 Blackout Gaming Mouse Review
- Cougar Puri TKL Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- OWC Mercury Helios 3 Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure Review
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series