With NAS appliances evolving from niche storage solutions to full on media centers, we have watched as vendors have increasingly offered more powerful solutions to keep up with consumer demands. What started many years ago as a simple HDMI port on the back of a Thecus N2800 has now evolved into many appliances with media center capabilities; the same can be said of this latest offering from Asustor utilizing XBMC.
Build quality of the AS5102T is quite good. This solution uses a steel frame and surrounding enclosure to give an industrial feel and appearance to the unit. At the same time, the front bezel uses plastics and soft glow LEDs for a modern appeal. Overall, the unit is very sturdy, and fairly heavy once drives are installed. The drive tray latches are some of the best I have seen, and they compare only to the Netgear ReadyNAS in terms of quality.
ADM has come quite a long way since I first used it a few years ago. Asustor has certainly devoted a lot of time into smoothing things out, and they have really been able to keep up with solutions from competing vendors. A few unique features like Dr. Asustor really add to the experience, and could potentially be a life saver for the typical consumer if something were to go wrong with their NAS system. Additionally, the app store has really grown since the last time I had my hands on an Asustor appliance. Consumers now have access to many popular applications like Chrome, Plex, and XBMC, to name a few.
The performance of this appliance was superb, and I can't really remember the last time we had such a high performance solution in the two bay form factor. Peak read performance obtained in RAID 0 landed at 112 MB/s, and write performance was nearly the same at 116 MB/s. Workloads presented little challenge to the 5102T, as the J1900 Celeron was able to produce some rather impressive numbers with peak IOPS ranging anywhere from 196 IOPs in Email Server to 345 IOPS in Workstation.
Overall, the Asustor AS5102T is a solid appliance that offers the performance for multi-user environments, and functionality the typical consumer would want.
PRICING: You can find the Asustor AS5102T for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Asustor AS5102T retails for $408.00 at Amazon.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||87%|
|Bundle and Packaging||84%|
|Value for Money||90%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||88%|
The Bottom Line: Asustor's AS5102T NAS is a solid performer while carrying one of the best price points in the two bay NAS segment.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Asustor AS5102T]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Management]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Single Client Throughput]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Workloads]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - SMB Workloads]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MSI's new MEG 390 GODLIKE motherboard leaked, looks awesome
- Death Stranding's bizarre new trailer is darkly enchanting
- Square Enix to double down on service games
- Nintendo 64 Classic Edition likely on the way
- Anthem's early play trials are paygated
- EP2C602 wont post
- صيانة كريازى مصر 0235700997 | توكيل ثلاجة كريازى الت
- صيانة جنرال اليكتريك مصر 0235700994 | توكيل ثلاجات ج
- صيانة كلفينيتور مصر 0235700997 | توكيل ثلاجات كلفين
- Battery Issue
- Kensington Unveils LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dual 4K Dock with K-Fob Smart Lock
- Crashbots is coming to Steam on the 9th of October!
- Linksys Launches High Performance, Enterprise-grade Cloud Networking Management For SMB Networks Without Licensing Fees
- BIOSTAR Presents Professional Crypto Mining Motherboards
- Animoca Brands partners with OpenST Limited to develop blockchain-powered games