Removing the PCB from the case is quite simple; however, no end-user should need to do this. I also disassembled the case to reveal the NFC controller and the antennas for the Wi-Fi/BT.
Here you can get a glimpse of the blower fan and the fan removed from the PCB. This setup is basically identical to the Intel NUC I reviewed about a month ago. The CPU used in the BRIX trades one graphics core for extra CPU horsepower and cache, when compared to the NUC's CPU, but both CPUs have the same TDP of 15W.
Here is the side of the PCB with the interesting stuff. Intel's i7 5500u is an exciting chip featuring Intel's latest Broadwell microarchitecture. The i7 5500u can turbo to 3GHz, it has two cores with four threads (resulting from hyper threading), it offers two HD graphics cores (Intel HD5500), and its PCH supports four USB 3.0 and a few SATA 6G ports.
On the left is a bunch of chips used to provide power to the onboard devices like the CPU and memory. The NCP81110 is a single phase PWM+drivers+MOSFETs with the VRD12.6 standard for Broadwell; it powers the CPU. There are three GSTek GS9238 (two shown here), which are 8A buck converters used to power the memory and PCH. On the right we have the Texas Instruments' TSP51363, which is a 22v at 8A DC/DC converter that is responsible for handling all of the power that comes into the BRIX. This converter is a critical part when it comes to power delivery, and the choice of the Texas Instruments part is sound.
This is Intel's Wireless AC 3160 Dual Band Wi-Fi/BT card that supports Wireless AC to 867Mb/s. It is in the small M.2 form factor, and we will see how it performs later in our review.
This Smart-Approach NFC controller uses a NXP chip for NFC. The Realtek ALC283 is used for audio.
The Realtek RT8111G is used for the GBit LAN port, and the IT8773FN is the Super I/O in charge of monitoring and controlling temperature and voltage.
A single 64Mbit/8MB BIOS ROM is used for the UEFI, and this NXP P3366 is a level shifter for the HDMI port.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dynasty Warriors 9 online and local co-op update/demo Nov 1
- CD Projekt RED's Thronebreaker - 'No plans' for Switch debut
- Starlink: Battle for Atlas - 82% of unit sales on Switch
- Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends - West Switch release
- Samsung should unveil dual-screen, foldable phone NEXT MONTH
- Buffalo Linkstation 520 2-Bay NAS Review
- How To Find Out Motherboard?
- I'm in a gaming rut please help.
- GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Master (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Palit introduces the reinvented GeForce RTX 2070 Dual
- Cooler Master Unveils the C700P Carbon
- EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 - Now Available for Order
- SP Launches New Pocket-Sized Power Banks
- Tesla vs Lovecraft Pre-Orders Start on iOS - Release date is 25th Oct