Test System Setup
To see our testing methodology, and to find out what goes into making our charts, please refer to our CPU Cooler Testing and Methodology article for that information.
While idling, we saw 27.5 degrees for the stock run, and when we loaded the processor, we received a 55.25 degree result. Of course, this is not the best thermal reading on the chart, but we are still within ten degrees of the best result on the list. This cooler is also much quieter and smaller than the top solution on this chart.
Once we applied the overclock the idle temperature made a fair jump to 31.5 degrees. Most coolers only move a degree or slightly more. On the loaded end of the spectrum, we were able to keep this 4770K under 80 degrees with the 78.16 degree result we have in this chart.
The thermal results don't look that good initially, but considering the competition is largely 120mm coolers, the NH-U9S is doing a pretty great job overall. With a second fan added into the mix, the NH-U9S gave us a reading of 76.25 degrees at this point, which would move it upward by three slots.
Noise Level Results
With voltage controlled at 7.5V, AIDA64 showed us that the fan was spinning at 1460 RPM, and for such a small fan at that speed, we were almost shocked to see only 24dB on the meter. We had to get very close to the cooler to hear anything with our own ears.
I would not call 39dB super quiet, but looking at it from the perspective of the chart, there are only a select few that do better in this test. Considering this is a 92mm fan spinning at 2160 RPM in this test, you will be hard pressed to find another fan this size that can even come close.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Noctua NH-U9S CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Pre-order Dead Cells now on Switch, receive 20% discount
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate available at this years Evo 2018
- Sony teases 'Tombstone' villain inclusion for Spider-Man PS4
- The Hulk smashes into GTA V with new mod, download available
- Dragon Ball FighterZ for Switch, open beta starts next month
- Asrock a320m dgs eveything stuttering even cs go drops 15-20 fps
- Biostar X470GTN Gaming (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- Asrock X399 + Watercooling help needed please
- HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 - can it run silent?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit