This is where you can fast forward to the final section of the review, and get a quick recap and points on the SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X.
8GB of VRAM: I don't like to use the words "future proof", but 8GB of RAM on a card these days, it's great to have this on your side.
Strong Performance: The Radeon R9 290X is still a great GPU, and with SAPPHIRE's tweaks and out-of-the-box overclock, we have a great performing card.
Huge Overclocking Capabilities: There is some serious overclocking headroom on the SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X, and I'm sure more than what we found here today. The trade off, is the gigantic power consumption, though.
SAPPHIRE's Great Tri-X Cooling Technology: Even during our most strenuous testing, the card never got loud, and always felt just hot - but not too hot you can't touch it - after testing. This is a testament to SAPPHIRE's great cooling technology.
"Future Proof": I hate using the words "future proof", but the SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X is more future proof than you think. we recently did some testing and found that 8GB of VRAM will definitely be part of the future of PC gaming.
It Looks Great: I'm a big fan of SAPPHIRE's styling, with the Tri-X cooler styling looking super slick.
High Power Consumption: This isn't something that is SAPPHIRE's fault directly, as it's more of the Hawaii-based architecture of the Radeon R9 290X from AMD. Our entire system was pulling more than 450W, which is quite high considering the GeForce GTX 980 provides nearly identical performance for under 300W.
What a first AMD video card to review! Sure, the Radeon R9 290X has been out for so long now, over 18 months, but add-in board partners like SAPPHIRE are continuing to offer new tricks. SAPPHIRE has provided 8GB of VRAM here, which is something you have to take into consideration when purchasing this.
Would I recommend you buy this card? Well, yes and no. If you need to buy something right now, and you're an AMD Radeon fan - yes, definitely yes. The performance is here, the features are continuing to grow with AMD, and you're getting a seriously good card all-round.
But, AMD is so close to launching its Radeon 300 series where the flagship GPU, the Radeon R9 390X, should launch and destroy the R9 290X by 20-30%. I'm sure we're going to see 8GB cards offered by default - and if we don't, I'll be disappointed.
The SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X is a smash hit of a card, released a little too late with the Radeon 300 series right around the corner.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Performance (overclocking, power)||95%|
|Quality (build, design, cooling)||95%|
|General Features (display outputs, etc)||85%|
|Bundle, Packaging & Software||90%|
|Value for Money||75%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||88%|
The Bottom Line: While we have a great factory overclock, the fact that you can squeeze a huge overclock out of the SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290X 8GB Tri-X is just gravy. Oh, and 8GB of VRAM doesn't hurt, either.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Packaging & Box Contents]
- Page 3 [Detailed Look]
- Page 4 [Card Specifications & Cooling Setup]
- Page 5 [Testing Method & Test System Configuration]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Synthetic (3DMark and Heaven)]
- Page 7 [Game Benchmarks (1080p)]
- Page 8 [Game Benchmarks (1440p)]
- Page 9 [Performance - 4K]
- Page 10 [Performance Summary]
- Page 11 [Overclocking]
- Page 12 [Power Consumption, Sound Testing and Software]
- Page 13 [What's Hot, What's Not & Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Civilization VI: Gathering Storm - Biggest Civ Expansion yet
- Marvel's Spider-Man: 'Turf Wars' DLC released, new trailer
- Amazon Japan has $650+ Smash UItimate Amiibo set available
- Warframe makes its way to the Nintendo Switch, available now
- Overview trailer released for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- The computer always restarts
- X79 Extreme11 NVMe - PLEASE HELP
- Silicon Power Bolt B80 Portable SSD Review - Subtle Style
- NeueChair Review: Redefining The Modern Office Chair
- Crucial P1 500GB NVMe SSD - $100 NVMe
- olloclip Introduces Add-On Lens Clips for Apple's Newest iPhones
- ROCCAT celebrates website relaunch with fantastic deals
- QNAP Launches the Mustang-200 Computing Accelerator Card
- Manli announces GeForce RTX 2080 Ti & GeForce RTX 2070
- Stunning New Character Strikes Her Way into DEAD OR ALIVE 6