The X99-UD4 isn't a slouch, it performs up to par and its overall temperatures during overclocking were impressive. Power consumption was also very good and both my video cards got great airflow with the PCI-E layout. I didn't have any major issues other than the BIOS being a little picky when it comes to booting up with one of my USB thumb drives.
I also wish that the board had 4x of PCI-E bandwidth for the M.2 slot, but that's a tradeoff where a PCI-E slot or more SATA ports would be leveraged. Even without a POST code display, the board didn't prove problematic during overclocking. It booted every time, but I know how to dial in the settings.
A few weeks ago, I took the X99-Gaming 5 for a spin and the two boards seem to be built off the same premise. They have almost identical layouts and design, and while the Gaming 5 is aimed at gamers, the UD4 could do that job just fine as well. In overclocking tests, the two boards are similar, which isn't to say too much as most of the boards I have tested for the X99 chipset seems to perform the same. The big difference between the X99-UD4 and the X99-Gaming 5 is the audio section where the X99-Gaming 5 definitely has the advantage.
At the time of writing, the X99-UD4 is $255 right now on Newegg, and the X99-Gaming 5 is $270, which means for $15 more, you get an upgraded audio section with a replaceable amplifier, plus an amplifier for the front panel audio header. If you want flare, the X99-UD4 doesn't leave you hanging; the IO shield, PCB isolation, and PCH heat sink all light up, and while that might not matter to many of you, I know when I was younger I loved DFI boards for the same reasons.
Overall, I found that the X99-UD4 is a workhorse meant for users who want a solid X99 motherboard with strong performance and a robust feature set.
PRICING: You can find the GIGABYTE X99-UD4 (Intel X99) Motherboard for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The GIGABYTE X99-UD4 (Intel X99) Motherboard retails for $249.99 at Amazon.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Performance (including Overclocking)||91%|
|Quality including Design and Build||93%|
|Bundle and Packaging||94%|
|Value for Money||92%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||92%|
The Bottom Line: GIGABYTE's X99-UD4 has a robust feature set, great build quality, and solid performance. If you are looking for a 24/7 workhorse for a motherboard, then the X99-UD4 is worth a look.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the X99-UD4]
- Page 3 [X99-UD4 Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 5 [Test Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature and Power Consumption]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dauntless passes 2 million players, new expansion next month
- COD: Black Ops 4 Zombie trailer, undead tigers/time travel
- GIVEAWAY: ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Pro Gaming i9 XE boards
- Battle royale revenue to grow 600% in 2018
- Fortnite makes over $1 billion in less than a year
- HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 - can it run silent?
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit