Test System Setups
Now that we've covered a bit of the hype regarding this processor, lets start looking at what it can do. Since a majority of our readers tend to fall into the "Enthusiast" and "Gamer" categories, we'll be focusing on this aspect of performance. I'll be using both synthetic and real-world gaming applications so that we can try to have a complete picture as to how this expensive chunk of silicon compares to something a bit more conventional. Lets take a look at the test setup.
Athlon 64 FX System
Processor: Athlon 64 FX-53 @ 2400MHz (Supplied by Newegg.com)
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (nVidia nForce3 Ultra) (Supplied by MSI)
Athlon XP System
Processor: Athlon XP 2400+ Mobile @ 2305MHz
Motherboard: DFI LANParty NFII Ultra B (nVidia nForce2 Ultra 400) (Supplied by DFI)
Memory: 2x 256MB OCZ PC3500 Platinum (Supplied by OCZ)
Hard Drive: Western Digital 80GB "JB" w/ 8MB cache
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon X800 XT PE (Supplied by Sapphire)
Operating System: Windows XP Professional w/ SP1
Drivers: nForce 4.27, Catalyst 4.8, DirectX 9.0b
SiSoft Sandra 2004 Professional SP2
Massive Development AquaMark3
Kanada Lab Super PI
Quake III Arena
Unreal Tournament 2004
As I mentioned before, I'll be using a variety of benchmarking tools to try to help determine if the Athlon FX series processor is worthy of its hefty price tag. The comparison system is going to be running in an overclocked state under a water-cooled condition. No, it may not be exactly fair, but since most of us are already using a system in the same ballpark as the test rig, it should give us more realistic information to help us make a purchasing decision.
As a final note to testing, all benchmarking tools used are patched to their latest revisions with the exception of Quake III. This is in its original installed state so we can make use of the first demo files that came with the game.
Enough talk, lets get to the goods!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- AMD FX-53 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 2 [The Processor]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setups]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 4 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra 2004]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - MadOnion/Futuremark]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 6 [Benchmarks - AquaMark3]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Super PI]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 9 [Benchmarks - UT 2004]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- AMD FX-53 - Page 11 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Offensive language in Rainbow Six Siege now gives insta-ban
- Nintendo teases future updates for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- MoonQuest comes to Steam Early Access 7 years later
- Nintendo Switch soon to feature 1000+ games, all regions
- Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1/2 screenshots & Rookie mode
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- iStorage diskashur DT2 12TB Review
- Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 rev 1.0
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit