Temperature and Power Consumption
While the NUC5i5RYK isn't the lowest power device, it does have one of the largest deltas between idle and load power usage. This points to extremely effective power saving features built into the SOC and into the system as a whole.
The NUC5i5RYK is only bested by the ECS LIVA X which isn't even close in CPU or GPU performance to the NUC. What is very impressive is that even at full power draw, the NUC produces little noise.
Shots of the NUC5i5RYK idle and load. I ran AIDA64 stability test at the same time as 3DMark Vantage to load the CPU, memory, and graphics. You can actually see the shape of the cooler on the SOC.
Mainstream vs. Enthusiast M.2 Drive Thermal Comparison
This is Intel's 360GB 530 series M.2 drive. It has a TDP of 5.5W and without a heat sink it goes from below 33C to 70C during full load. The lid on the NUC provides a thermal-pad which cools the M.2 drive, and with the lid on it goes from 29C to only 34C.
This is Samsung's XP941 240GB M.2 drive, known for super-fast performance utilizing 4x PCI-E lanes, it goes from below 34C to 85C, which is very hot. With the lid applied it goes from 30C to 36C, which is only a few C hotter than the Intel drive. The TDP on this drive is 5.87W which is possibly why I didn't see any major power consumption differences, but the temperature difference is very apparent with the lid off.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Radeon RX Vega 32, RX Vega 28 rumored to be coming
- AMD's new drivers add CrossFire support to RX Vega
- Intel working on dual-core i3-7360X for X299
- Razer will announce a 'mobile device' later this year
- MSI shows off GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X TRIO
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- A Look at AMD's Threadripper CPU Hardware Modes
- Plextor M8Se 256GB & 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower