Temperature and Power Consumption
While the NUC5i5RYK isn't the lowest power device, it does have one of the largest deltas between idle and load power usage. This points to extremely effective power saving features built into the SOC and into the system as a whole.
The NUC5i5RYK is only bested by the ECS LIVA X which isn't even close in CPU or GPU performance to the NUC. What is very impressive is that even at full power draw, the NUC produces little noise.
Shots of the NUC5i5RYK idle and load. I ran AIDA64 stability test at the same time as 3DMark Vantage to load the CPU, memory, and graphics. You can actually see the shape of the cooler on the SOC.
Mainstream vs. Enthusiast M.2 Drive Thermal Comparison
This is Intel's 360GB 530 series M.2 drive. It has a TDP of 5.5W and without a heat sink it goes from below 33C to 70C during full load. The lid on the NUC provides a thermal-pad which cools the M.2 drive, and with the lid on it goes from 29C to only 34C.
This is Samsung's XP941 240GB M.2 drive, known for super-fast performance utilizing 4x PCI-E lanes, it goes from below 34C to 85C, which is very hot. With the lid applied it goes from 30C to 36C, which is only a few C hotter than the Intel drive. The TDP on this drive is 5.87W which is possibly why I didn't see any major power consumption differences, but the temperature difference is very apparent with the lid off.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Intel reportedly 'kills off' its upcoming 10nm process
- Jump Force features original Akira Toriyama character 'Kane'
- Project Monolith - action adventure title for all platforms
- Crackdown 3 will be playable at Xbox FanFest 2018
- Agony Unrated is 90% off to Agony owners, releases Oct 31st
- How To Find Out Motherboard?
- I'm in a gaming rut please help.
- GIGABYTE Z390 Aorus Master (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Akitio Thunder3 Dock Pro Review
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam