Plextor M6e Black Edition 128GB PCIe SSD
The black edition theme carries over to all aspects of this product, including the retail packaging.
Plextor lists the specifications for all three capacities on the back of the package, and also includes a list of features.
Inside, we found the card tucked away with dense foam to keep the card secure for shipping.
Inside of the packaging, you will find a paper installation manual, a card with support contact numbers, the M6e Black Edition PCIe SSD, and a screw for installing the card in your PC.
The M6e Black Edition looks quite a bit different than the original M6e Plextor released last year; the new heat sink sets the tone right away. The black PCB is a nice touch as well. Together, the black and red combination will match a large number of motherboards and video cards on the market. All of the extra bling is actually functional as well.
These gold fingers bring the power and data into the SSD, and allow the M6e Black Edition to run on the PCIe bus.
Air will flow past the heat sink on the card and out of the back plate while exiting your system.
Plextor put a lot of thought into this design, and really went the extra mile. Here we see some of the detail put into the heat sink.
Thermal transfer material passes heat from the M.2 card to the heat sink.
With the lid removed, we see the inner workings of this product. Plextor uses a M.2 2280 SSD, and a new, black colored PCB adapter.
You can supply additional power through a SATA power port on the card. We didn't need the extra power for our system, but if you have several PCIe devices installed in your system, then you will want to use the auxiliary power.
The card also has pins for connecting LEDs to show SSD activity. The easiest way to use this is to unplug the HDD activity LED lead from the motherboard, and plug it directly into the M6e Black Edition.
Here is a look at the back of the card. This is what most of us will actually see in a system, unless your system inverts the motherboard.
You will see this design a lot in 2015. The actual M.2 SSD is a 2280 design, which means 22mm wide and 80mm long.
The controller is a Marvell 88SS9183. This is Marvell's first generation PCIe to flash controller, and it uses PCIe 2.0 x2 (two lanes).
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Plextor M6e Black Edition 128GB PCIe SSD]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Initial Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mixed Read / Write Workloads]
- Page 7 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test]
- Page 8 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test - Continued]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Fortnite makes over $1 billion in less than a year
- Treyarch tease COD: Black Ops 4 zombies Comic-Con reveal
- Call of Cthulhu releases this Halloween
- The Legend of Zelda: BOTW - Creating a Champion details
- AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990X simulated tests: 32C/64T beast!
- HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB Gaming Mouse Review
- ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 - can it run silent?
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit