Plextor M6e Black Edition 128GB PCIe SSD
The black edition theme carries over to all aspects of this product, including the retail packaging.
Plextor lists the specifications for all three capacities on the back of the package, and also includes a list of features.
Inside, we found the card tucked away with dense foam to keep the card secure for shipping.
Inside of the packaging, you will find a paper installation manual, a card with support contact numbers, the M6e Black Edition PCIe SSD, and a screw for installing the card in your PC.
The M6e Black Edition looks quite a bit different than the original M6e Plextor released last year; the new heat sink sets the tone right away. The black PCB is a nice touch as well. Together, the black and red combination will match a large number of motherboards and video cards on the market. All of the extra bling is actually functional as well.
These gold fingers bring the power and data into the SSD, and allow the M6e Black Edition to run on the PCIe bus.
Air will flow past the heat sink on the card and out of the back plate while exiting your system.
Plextor put a lot of thought into this design, and really went the extra mile. Here we see some of the detail put into the heat sink.
Thermal transfer material passes heat from the M.2 card to the heat sink.
With the lid removed, we see the inner workings of this product. Plextor uses a M.2 2280 SSD, and a new, black colored PCB adapter.
You can supply additional power through a SATA power port on the card. We didn't need the extra power for our system, but if you have several PCIe devices installed in your system, then you will want to use the auxiliary power.
The card also has pins for connecting LEDs to show SSD activity. The easiest way to use this is to unplug the HDD activity LED lead from the motherboard, and plug it directly into the M6e Black Edition.
Here is a look at the back of the card. This is what most of us will actually see in a system, unless your system inverts the motherboard.
You will see this design a lot in 2015. The actual M.2 SSD is a 2280 design, which means 22mm wide and 80mm long.
The controller is a Marvell 88SS9183. This is Marvell's first generation PCIe to flash controller, and it uses PCIe 2.0 x2 (two lanes).
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Plextor M6e Black Edition 128GB PCIe SSD]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Initial Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mixed Read / Write Workloads]
- Page 7 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test]
- Page 8 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test - Continued]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GeIL add the Super Luce RGB Lite Series to their range
- Ethereum could replace Visa networks, even game servers
- Google Pixel 2 teased in 'Kinda Blue', starts at $649
- Google Pixelbook: Surface competitor starts at $1199
- Biostar's upcoming RACING Z370 GT7 motherboard teased
- Plextor M8Se 256GB & 512GB NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- ad240ehdgmbox on m3a785gmh/128m mainboard?
- 8K benched: RX Vega 64 vs. GTX 1080 Ti vs. TITAN Xp SLI
- AMD X399 TR4 Threadripper Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- Gigabyte System Information Viewer
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower