Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v5 Internals
The Enterprise Performance TurboBoost 15K HDD v5 comes in the 2.5" form factor with a 15nmm z-height.
The drive appears similar to normal 2.5" drives. A foam pad resides between the PCB and drive housing, and thermal pads cover the controllers.
The SMOOTH/Seagate co-branded controller handles motor operations. A co-branded LSI/Seagate TT50431 controller is flanked by a 128MB Samsung DRAM package. The LSI controller is new to this generation of SSHD; the previous model featured a Marvell processor. The LSI/Seagate controller is the same model used on the standard 15K v5, but also handles the AMT caching algorithms, and the NAND chip that resides near the 12Gb/s SAS connection. The 12Gb/s SAS connection provides wide compatibility with the latest RAID controllers and HBAs.
Idle power consumption is a pain point in the datacenter. The Seagate Enterprise Performance TurboBoost 15K HDD v5 utilizes PowerChoice Technology, Seagate's proprietary implementation of the T10/T13 Approved Standard. PowerChoice provides four enhanced idle modes that place the drive into deeper quasi-sleep cycles to conserve power; the length of drive inactivity triggers these idle modes. The feature is enabled with a SAS Mode Page or SATA Set Feature command.
There is also the option for immediate host-initiated power transitions in a typical implementation. Once enabled, PowerChoice places the drive into successively deeper idle states with SAS/SATA commands, but each consecutive sleep mode requires more time for resumption. We did not test with enhanced PowerChoice states enabled.
The standard Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v5 provides a 6.4-watt average power draw during the idle power state. The Enterprise Performance TurboBoost model matches the same idle power draw, albeit after a short period of settling.
Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v5 Specifications
The 12Gb/s Seagate Enterprise Performance TurboBoost 15K HDD we are testing today features the 512E format with the ST600MX0052 part number. There are 4KN, 512E, SED, and FIPS 140-2 variants available with varying part numbers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Why Atari VCS doesn't use Ryzen APU
- Atari VCS upgraded to 8GB of unified memory
- Inland Professional SATA III moves to 2nd place at Amazon
- Offensive language in Rainbow Six Siege now gives insta-ban
- Nintendo teases future updates for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- iStorage diskashur DT2 12TB Review
- Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 rev 1.0
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit