Samsung SM951 512GB PCIe SSD
The SM951 comes in a M.2 2280 form factor. That means 22mm wide and 80mm deep. Many Z97 and most X99 chipset motherboards have a dedicated slot for this size. In 2015, several notebooks will also ship with a 2280 form factor slot. Our Lenovo X1 Carbon supports up to 2280, even when you order the system with a SATA SSD. The system will ship with a 2280 M.2 SSD, but with a SATA-based controller.
The part number for the Lenovo model is MZHPV512HDGL-000L1. The L1 portion is for a specific customer, in this case Lenovo.
With the sticker removed we see the Samsung controller, DRAM package and two of the four NAND flash packages.
The other side of the drive holds two more NAND flash packages as well as some surface mount components. It should be noted that Samsung glued two of the surface mount components to the PCB near the M.2 edge connector. These sit on the opposite side of the controller, the main source of heat generated by modern SSDs. We'll measure the controller temperature later in this review.
The UBX controller is a 3-core ARM based unit that runs the AHCI command set. In our initial introduction to the SM951, Samsung stated this controller is capable of both NVMe and AHCI, but this product is currently running AHCI.
The NAND flash is Samsung's 10 nanometer class MLC flash.
The DRAM is also from Samsung.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dead Space 2 dev recounts harsh reality of game budgets
- Analysts forecast Capcom will miss net sales target
- Capcom ships 4 million copies of Resident Evil 7
- Petroglyph Games announce new RTS- Forged Battalion
- Seagate announce its new Enterprise Datasphere Fleet
- ASUS ROG Strix Vega 64 Unboxed: The First Custom RX Vega
- Replacement AC adapter for RT-AC88U
- Can't disable CPU SPECTRUM on a Z97-D3H
- ECOLA Ultra Slim Laptop Cooling Pad Chill Mat
- ASUS Battery Health Charging - windows 10 
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard
- ASRock announces X299E-ITX/ac, world's first mini-ITX LGA2066 motherboard
- Noctua introduces chromax line fans, cables and heat sink covers
- G.SKILL Releases Fastest 32GB (4x8GB) Trident Z RGB Memory Kit at DDR4-4266MHz