The Nighthawk X4 uses the same Genie platform we have seen Netgear deploy across many of their router and NAS solutions. Upon entering, the main menu offers an overview of the router status, including attached devices, internet and wireless connectivity, and ReadyShare status for connected storage.
The internet setup menu includes several options for customizing your connection type. While most of you will be fine with the default setup, those with connections that require passwords, or have a static assigned to them by their ISP, will need to adjust settings in this menu.
Within the wireless setup menu, the option to customize your SSID for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands is available. Basic security options are also within this menu, along with options for adjusting the connection rate for each radio.
Dynamic QoS is one of the biggest selling points for the Nighthawk line of wireless solutions. Netgear has gone as far as to setup a database of known applications, and the settings to optimize those applications. When setting up QoS, the option to use the built-in speed test is available, along with the ability to manually specify your connection rate.
ReadyShare is Netgear's connected storage solution, which is built into most of their routing solutions. Above, we are looking at the basic menu that allows the setup of USB storage, and shared folders.
Advanced settings for USB storage allows access to options for local network sharing, along with FTP and HTTP server, both locally and over the Internet.
Moving on, we take a look at the advanced menu for wireless connectivity. With this menu, you can adjust high-level settings such as RTS threshold, preamble, and transmit power. Options for WPS are available at the bottom of this menu.
One of the more unique features of the Netgear solutions is the traffic meter. This can certainly be a valuable tool for those that have metered connections.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft, Facebook complete 160Tbps undersea cable
- Apple won't let you download 4K, only stream on Apple TV
- Sony isn't 'entirely comfortable' being VR market leader
- G.SKILL launches 128GB DDR4 RAM kit for Threadripper
- Bethesda pursues long-lasting relationship with Nintendo
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- Areca ARC-8050T3 12-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID DAS Review
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM