Thermalright Macho90 CPU Cooler
Peering into the front of the fin stack of the Macho 90, we see the stack of twenty-six aluminium fins, with a twenty-seventh fin at the top that has been anodized black. Judging the size of the base as opposed to the rest of the cooler should offer a fair perspective as to how small this cooler is.
While the sides of this cooler are left open, we see that each fin has rows of tabs to help direct and trap the air flow that is running across them. From this side, we can also see that the heat pipes are slightly offset in an attempt to shift the cooler away from the memory.
From this usual angle, the back looks just like the front side did, so we are showing this side from the top. While there isn't enough fan clips for multiple fans, the back of the cooler has holes in the fins for the clips at the back, and is cut away on the back to support a fan to draw air, rather than having air pushed through it.
The only thing that really changes from side to side is the offset of the nickel-plated heat pipes, as the left pair bends differently from the right pair.
As the cooler lies on its face, we can now see the multitude of tabs that are cut into each fin, and if our count is correct, there are thirty-six tabs cut to direct air around the four heat pipes, and out of the back of the cooler. There are also two tunnels cut into the fin, and this allows the cooler to be easily mounted with the provided screwdriver.
The view from the bottom shows us that the fins have been pressed on over the heat pipes, but at the base, we see evidence of soldering. Of course, they are both nickel plated for protection, but the polished base also has a protective film applied.
The base is polished to a mirror shine, as evidenced by the reflection of the motherboard screw in the base of this cooler. It is high in the center, and does not drastically drop off at any point, not even nearer to the edges where contact is not made.
Jumping ahead just a bit, we gathered some of the hardware, and went ahead and installed the fan isolation pads, and the pair of fan clips.
If initial impressions did not seem to show how compact this cooler is, as we see it now, the 92mm fan is completely covering the fin stack, and does not stand taller than the protruding heat pipe tips on top of the cooler.
With the fan on the Macho 90, and now seeing it in profile view, we don't have very high hopes for the offset mattering much with that fan sticking out so far to the right like it is.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Thermalright Macho90 CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Co-op platformer Super Chariot coming to the Nintendo Switch
- SEGA launch mystery game reveal countdown website
- Single-player AAA game production costs increase by 10x
- Sony makes sign-ups for PS4 v5.50 firmware beta available
- Netflix won't be available on the Nintendo Switch as of yet
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Phison E8 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Preview
- Bios Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming test 8700K
- Which chip Is my main bios chip ( Gigabyte P17F Notebook )
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series