What the ECS LIVA X lacks in raw performance, it makes up for in low power consumption and thermals. Its dual-core Intel Celeron N2808 CPU has its limitations, in terms of raw power it loses to the Zotac CI320 (reviewed here) because of its lower core count. While the LIVA X doesn't do well in benchmarks where it is compared based on CPU power, it shines in total-system benchmarks like PCMark8. ECS took the Celeron N2808 and tricked it out by taking advantage of pretty much everything it offers. They maxed out the amount of RAM and took advantage of the PCI-E lanes.
ECS offers a built-in eMMC drive and the option to add in an mSATA drive to expand storage for home media center uses, which also allows you to install other OSes like Windows 7. ECS did a great job of offering many options; HDMI and/or D-SUB (VGA), WIFI and/or wired LAN, and eMMC and/or mSATA. The price of the LIVA X is very important too, at $249.99 it would be a steal if it had an OS, but sadly it doesn't.
The LIVA X's simplistic yet elegant design is a little deceiving. This is a very capable machine. Since most software doesn't require that much CPU power these days, storage and memory make a lot of difference and in that sense the LIVA X can handle almost everything. You definitely can't play PC games like you would on a desktop or edit large videos, but that isn't what these small form factor PCs are made for.
The LIVA X is exactly what a PC this size should be; low-power, silent, and expandable. You can put it in a car and power it through a cigarette lighter as the device uses 1-2A at 12V, something the car can easily provide. If heat is a big issue, then the LIVA X is perfect for you, it doesn't increase in temperature that much, and was never hot to the touch.
A closer look at the power hardware reveals overkill in component selection. That is done to make sure that the components run in their optimal efficiency range to waste less power and decrease temperatures, and we can see this in our tests.
PRICING: You can find the ECS Elitegroup Liva LIVA-XBAT2NBW-464 Desktop for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The ECS Elitegroup Liva LIVA-XBAT2NBW-464 Desktop retails for $249.99 at Amazon.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Quality including Design and Build||96%|
|Bundle and Packaging||95%|
|Value for Money||85%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||89%|
The Bottom Line: While it doesn't have the fastest CPU, it makes up for it with expansive storage and great build quality. If low power consumption and temperatures are the name of the game, then the LIVA X is the champion, and one for you to consider in the Mini PC market.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and System]
- Page 3 [Teardown of the LIVA X]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 5 [CPU, Graphics, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [Temperature and Power Consumption]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Blizzard announces full Overwatch League teams
- NieR: Automata shipped and sold over 2 million copies
- New Red Dead Redemption 2 updates coming next week
- Vivendi may take over Ubisoft in November
- AMD Radeon RX Vega 32, RX Vega 28 rumored to be coming
- Upgrading USB ports on top of case
- Areca ARC-8050T3 12-Bay Thunderbolt 3 RAID DAS Review
- GA-P67A-UD3P-B3 can't change multiplier past 38, can't change turbo ratio with i5 3570k
- TP-Link Archer C3150 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Using Netgear wndr3700 as router extender problem
- AOC announces retail availability of AGON curved QHD gaming monitor
- Seasonic presents the PRIME Ultra power supplies
- EVGA announces GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE video card
- G.Skill releases AMD Ryzen-optimized Trident Z RGB DDR4 memory
- Hear the difference feel the beat of the DRUM