Patriot Torch 240GB SSD
Here we get our first look at Patriot's new Torch SSD. We've omitted the packaging images, as there really isn't a package to speak of other than a plastic clamshell case.
The model and serial numbers are located on the back of the drive along with the capacity information.
Patriot used a 7mm z-height, so the Torch will fit in many of the new notebooks and Ultrabooks that require the smaller height.
Inside, we found a small PCB with a Phison S8 controller paired with a single DRAM package, and four NAND flash packages.
The Phison S8 controller has been around for a while now, and is a very popular controller in embedded applications, and low-cost SSDs. The Torch ships with DDR3L-1600, low voltage DDR3. From what we've been able to determine, the Torch is identical to the Blaze SSD product in all aspects other than the low voltage DDR3 buffer. The Blaze product has regular DDR3 (1.5v), and the Torch has LoVo DDR3 (1.35v).
A third party packaged the flash, but under the plastic is the IMFT 16nm ONFi.
The backside of the PCB has the other two NAND flash packages.
Here we see the size of the PCB in relation to the 2.5" form factor case. The Torch 240GB is on the left, and the 120GB model is on the right. The difference between the two is more than just the NAND packages though. The 120GB Torch on the left uses just two NAND packages, but also carries the S9 controller, instead of the S8 found on the 240GB model.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Digital PS4 game sales locked exclusively to PSN
- Enter the 'Spider-Verse' for our Spider-Man Blu-ray giveaway
- Epic Store has 85 million users
- Google Stadia only works with Pixel phones, Chromecast on TV
- Switch could use Microsoft voice chat technology
- Do anyone can help in converting Outlook PST Files into EML format
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB795SP-B Review - 3.5" & 2.5" Single Bay
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced