MG04 Enterprise 5TB HDD Internals
The MG04SCA500A comes in the standard 3.5" form factor with normal fastener emplacements on the rear and sides. Other large capacity drives have transitioned to new fastener alignments that are not compatible with all drive trays.
A foam pad is placed between the PCB and the drive body to absorb vibration.
An LSI TT7050 controller rests in the top center of the PCB. There are accelerometers placed on the bottom left and middle of the right edge of the PCB to detect, and thus counteract, vibration in multi-drive enclosures.
The MG04SCA500A features a 6Gb/s SAS connection, with a step up to the 12Gb/s SAS connection slated for the MG04 refresh.
Idle power consumption is a pain point in the datacenter. Each manufacturer features proprietary implementations of enhanced idle modes that place the drive into deeper quasi-sleep cycles to conserve power. These modes can be enabled with a SAS Mode Page or SATA Set Feature command. Once enabled, these low-power idle modes place the drive into successively deeper idle states, but each consecutive sleep mode requires more time for resumption. We did not test with enhanced idle states enabled.
A key consideration for idle power consumption lies in the Watts-per-TB metric. These raw values represent the idle power consumption of each drive with no adjustments for capacity. Normalizing these values will bring the Seagate Enterprise Capacity into closer competitive range of the Toshiba MG04. The MG04 features an excellent idle power consumption of 8.2 Watts. The He6 provides the lowest idle power draw of the high-capacity segment.
MG04 Enterprise 5TB HDD Specifications
The 6Gb/s SAS Toshiba MG04SCA500A we are testing today features the 4Kn format, and there are 512E models available with the MG04SCAxxxE model numbers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [MG04 Enterprise 5TB HDD Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Ruin the fun in our 'Blockers' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Make a noise for our 'A Quiet Place' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Apple's new external GPU: Radeon Pro 580 with 8GB for $699
- Apple's most expensive new MacBook Pro costs an insane $6700
- Darksiders 3 devs announce new IP, Remnant: From the Ashes
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- iStorage diskashur DT2 12TB Review
- Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 rev 1.0
- Qflash ans USB
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit