HD Tune Pro - Sequential Performance
Version and / or Patch Used: 5.50
We've talked quite a bit over the last two years about lithography shrinks increasing NAND density while simultaneously killing low capacity SSD performance. Today, very few 64Gbit die are made and sold; 128Gbit die have taken over, and next year we'll see more 256Gbit die. When that happens, 128GB SSDs will all but dissolve into computer dustbin history.
In this chart, we get a good look at why 120GB SSDs are out of favor for enthusiasts, and for the most part, even mainstream users. The performance is significantly lower on newer 120GB SSDs in comparison to older models that use smaller capacity die in higher numbers to increase parallelization, which is the foundation of why SSDs are so fast.
Surprisingly, the Patriot Torch 120GB writes sequential data faster than it can read it back, at least when working with 64KB blocks, as we are in this test.
HD Tach - Sequential Write Performance after Random Writes
Version and / or Patch Used: 18.104.22.168
After a reasonable number of sequential and random writes to the Patriot Torch 120GB, we tested the drive with HD Tach, a test that uses 128KB sequential data. Again, the Torch writes faster than it can read sequential data.
Given that most consumers read more data than they write, why is this drive even marketed as a regular SSD?
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing, and Availability]
- Page 2 [Patriot Torch 120GB SSD]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Initial Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mixed Read / Write Workloads]
- Page 7 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test]
- Page 8 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test - Continued]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Disney could buy Nexon, adding huge value to its gaming arm
- Anthem's new stronghold comes tomorrow in latest update
- Prediction: new PS5 streaming service to blend games & film
- RAGE 2 is a live service game without multiplayer
- Leffen casts Super Smash Bros. Ultimate training aside
- Intel Optane Memory H10 Hybrid SSD Preview
- What would work best for a 24/7 server type computer?
- Intel Optane Memory H10 Hybrid SSD Review
- How to booking a escort via internet
- Intel wireless card not detcted in Beebox J3160
- OP Gaming Rangers Win The Faceit Global Summit: PUBG Classic
- Tigertron Releases Jupiter & Mars on Earth Day
- Zombotron has Landed in Stores!
- Header Bidding Manager platform breaking updates. April'19 release
- The Fox Software is proud to announce the release of Active Soccer 2019 on Nintendo Switch