HD Tune Pro - Sequential Performance
Version and / or Patch Used: 5.50
We've talked quite a bit over the last two years about lithography shrinks increasing NAND density while simultaneously killing low capacity SSD performance. Today, very few 64Gbit die are made and sold; 128Gbit die have taken over, and next year we'll see more 256Gbit die. When that happens, 128GB SSDs will all but dissolve into computer dustbin history.
In this chart, we get a good look at why 120GB SSDs are out of favor for enthusiasts, and for the most part, even mainstream users. The performance is significantly lower on newer 120GB SSDs in comparison to older models that use smaller capacity die in higher numbers to increase parallelization, which is the foundation of why SSDs are so fast.
Surprisingly, the Patriot Torch 120GB writes sequential data faster than it can read it back, at least when working with 64KB blocks, as we are in this test.
HD Tach - Sequential Write Performance after Random Writes
Version and / or Patch Used: 184.108.40.206
After a reasonable number of sequential and random writes to the Patriot Torch 120GB, we tested the drive with HD Tach, a test that uses 128KB sequential data. Again, the Torch writes faster than it can read sequential data.
Given that most consumers read more data than they write, why is this drive even marketed as a regular SSD?
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing, and Availability]
- Page 2 [Patriot Torch 120GB SSD]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Initial Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mixed Read / Write Workloads]
- Page 7 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test]
- Page 8 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test - Continued]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Burnout Paradise Remastered debuts to PC August 21st
- Little Nightmares developers announce 1 million units sold
- Blizzard say Overwatch port to Switch is completely feasible
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider weapons revealed through trailer
- New Super Mario Bros. U/New Super Luigi U rumored for Switch
- Buy (3) Apple iPhone X $1.947 (Buy on our www .BizFests.com)
- Buy (3 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (A1865/A1901) New $1.947
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080: What We Know So Far
- Can't get RAM to run at rated speeds with XMP
- Buy (2 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (A1865/A1901) New $1,398
- Road Redemption Coming This Fall to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch
- PROZE: a VR survival adventure announcement trailer
- Let's Ragnarok! Legend of Solgard Launches worldwide on Mobile
- Snail Games Soft Launches My Dino in Canada