HD Tune Pro - Sequential Performance
Version and / or Patch Used: 5.50
We've talked quite a bit over the last two years about lithography shrinks increasing NAND density while simultaneously killing low capacity SSD performance. Today, very few 64Gbit die are made and sold; 128Gbit die have taken over, and next year we'll see more 256Gbit die. When that happens, 128GB SSDs will all but dissolve into computer dustbin history.
In this chart, we get a good look at why 120GB SSDs are out of favor for enthusiasts, and for the most part, even mainstream users. The performance is significantly lower on newer 120GB SSDs in comparison to older models that use smaller capacity die in higher numbers to increase parallelization, which is the foundation of why SSDs are so fast.
Surprisingly, the Patriot Torch 120GB writes sequential data faster than it can read it back, at least when working with 64KB blocks, as we are in this test.
HD Tach - Sequential Write Performance after Random Writes
Version and / or Patch Used: 22.214.171.124
After a reasonable number of sequential and random writes to the Patriot Torch 120GB, we tested the drive with HD Tach, a test that uses 128KB sequential data. Again, the Torch writes faster than it can read sequential data.
Given that most consumers read more data than they write, why is this drive even marketed as a regular SSD?
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing, and Availability]
- Page 2 [Patriot Torch 120GB SSD]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Initial Performance]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mixed Read / Write Workloads]
- Page 7 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test]
- Page 8 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test - Continued]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Street Fighter V players upgraded to the Arcade Edition
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 patch 1.1 brings stability all round
- Civilization VI: Rise and Fall new details fully explained
- Dynasty Warriors 9 reveals a massive open world with trailer
- Dragon Ball FighterZ will have another 24 hours of open beta
- Intel Z370 Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- The Coffee Lake Overclocking Guide
- X99-Gaming-5P 6850K 128G Ram - Help Overclock
- Which one is Best laptop in my Budget
- ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 major problems starting screen flickers > Freezes up win 10
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series