128k Sequential Read/Write
We write to every LBA to highlight performance degradation from the outer to inner tracks of the drive. The drives begin with much higher speed on the outer tracks and lose speed as it works inward. The small platter sizes allow the drives to write the entire platter of the drive very quickly. The varying capacity points in the test pool are evident, as the high-capacity Enterprise Performance 15K v5 requires the most time to complete a full pass across the platter. The superior sequential speed is evident in this test as the Seagate Enterprise Performance 15K v5 manages to top 250MB/s on the outer edge of the platter.
128k sequential speed reflects the maximum sequential throughput of the HDD and is indicative of performance in OLAP, batch processing, streaming, content delivery applications, and backup scenarios. Today's HDDs are increasingly used for sequential workloads as SSDs encroach upon the application space.
The Enterprise Performance 15K v5 drive averages an impressive 252 MB/s during the sequential read workload at QD256, taking an easy lead in this test. The Savvio 15K.3 averages 187 MB/s, and the Toshiba offers 198 MB/s.
The 15K v5 exhibits excellent latency characteristics with sequential read activity, separating itself from the other competitors.
Sequential write performance is important in tasks such as caching, replication, HPC, and database logging. The Enterprise Performance 15K v5 stretches its legs and averages an impressive 251 MB/s, the previous-gen Savvio 15K.3 averages 187 MB/s, and the Toshiba weighs in with 196 MB/s.
The 15K v5 demonstrates continued dominance in sequential workloads.
The mixed-workload sequential testing is one of our most demanding tests. Many drives will fare very well on the high-end, but fall short with mixed sequential activity. The Enterprise Performance 15K v5 wins in every write mixture during the test period.
The 15K v5 averages 9.88 watts during the measurement window.
The Enterprise Performance 15K v5 averages 25 MB/s-per-watt for both read and write activity.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Enterprise Performance 15K HDD v5 Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Pre-order Dead Cells now on Switch, receive 20% discount
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate available at this years Evo 2018
- Sony teases 'Tombstone' villain inclusion for Spider-Man PS4
- The Hulk smashes into GTA V with new mod, download available
- Dragon Ball FighterZ for Switch, open beta starts next month
- ASROCK C2750D4I BMC Self Test Failure
- OWC Travel Dock Review
- Asrock a320m dgs eveything stuttering even cs go drops 15-20 fps
- Biostar X470GTN Gaming (AMD X470) Motherboard Review
- Asrock X399 + Watercooling help needed please
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit