I'm really two minds about 3840x2160 on a 28-inch panel, sometimes it feels fine - looking at images, or video, but when I'm using it for productivity, it's simply too small. A 30-inch (or bigger) display size is much better, allowing everything to scale that little bit more.
3840x2160 on a 28-inch panel is just too much, sure the pixel density is high, but that's not everything. A 27- to 28-inch monitor should have a maximum resolution of 2560x1440, which is where I personally think it is about perfect. This isn't to say that the ViewSonic VX2880ml was bad, as this isn't ViewSonic's fault - they could have opted for a bigger panel, say 30- or 31-inch, but this would've resulted in a more expensive monitor.
Color reproduction was great, as expected, and so was the general image quality. I have nothing bad to say here about that. The resolution is too high for serious desktop work at 4K, unless you are running Windows 8 or 8.1, and had adjusted the scale of the UI to fit 4K on this 28-inch panel better. Even then, I don't think you'd want to use it long term like this - but again, some people will find it more than fine.
This is where I'm going to tear into the ViewSonic VX2880ml, but I won't spend too long telling you why you should not buy this monitor for gaming. 30Hz is just, no. It's just no, okay?
But really, this isn't a gaming monitor, folks. This is a monitor for productivity, something we talked about above, but for gaming - it's just subpar. The resolution is too high for a monitor of this size, and while it's nice, the Acer XB280HK 28-inch G-SYNC capable monitor blows it away with not just its 60Hz refresh rate, but G-SYNC technology.
ViewSonic aren't here with the VX2880ml to provide gamers with the perfect Ultra HD display, which is why I think we see all the marketing material concentrate on the DisplayPort daisy-chaining and color reproduction, both of which are great features for the office.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Bethesda's cancelled Terminator game had you play as a T-800
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt won't have day 1 download on Switch
- New Alien MMO shooter could be a ways off
- Nintendo Switch system update 8.1.0, minimal changes
- New Age of Empires IV information to be released this year
- Phison PS5016-E16 PCIe 4.0 SSD First Look Preview
- Update Intel RAID ROM - How to do it?
- Memblaze PBlaze5 C916 and D916 Enterprise SSD Review
- ASUS AX92U Wi-Fi 6 Mesh Review
- motherboard the turbo frequency varies permanently
- Fort Boyard - The game will be available soon
- The Retro Scifi Game on Steam, 'I am Not a Monster' has a Single Player Campaign in Development called 'First Contact' set to Launch 2H 2019
- Buoyant Bounces Onto Mobile Devices Today
- Now Available on PC/Mac: Chook & Sosig: Walk the Plank
- Japanese character introductions of Ryuko and Satsuki for KILL la KILL - IF released