HP Z820 Workstation
We received two HP Z Turbo PCIe SSDs in our HP Z820 workstation. Users can purchase the same system today, but HP has already released the updated Zx40 workstation with Haswell processors and DDR4.
HP asked us to test the new Z Turbo in one of the company's flagship Z820 workstations. The system is configurable, so users can select from a large list of components that fit workload requirements. Our system shipped with two Intel Xeon Ivy Bridge E processors, and a custom HP motherboard designed so all of the connectors are on the back of the motherboard. This increases airflow, and reduces clutter.
To be completely honest, the Z820 is the nicest workstation I've ever seen. The internal tray is loaded with fans directing airflow where it's needed. You would think a system with so many fans would sound like a rocket ship, but in my experience, the Z820 is like a gentle whisper from across the room at load. We'll have more coverage on the Z820 in a follow up article in the coming weeks.
In our previous testing with the Samsung XP941, we discovered that the controller could get very hot under heavy workloads. HP directs airflow to the system's components, including the PCIe slots. This keeps the Z Turbo running cool, even without a heat sink for the UAX controller.
The back of the panel allows air to pass over the Z Turbo, and exit the rear of the system.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing, and Availability]
- Page 2 [HP Z Turbo PCIe SSD]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup - HP Z820]
- Page 4 [4-Corner and Then Some Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Mixed Read / Write Workloads]
- Page 7 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test]
- Page 8 [PCMark 8 Consistency Test - Continued]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get schooled for our 'Night School' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Win a Blu-ray copy of the film on us!
- Aim for the stars in our 'First Man' Blu-ray giveaway!
- Metro Exodus' story reacts to your decisions
- Visceral's Star Wars game was basically Star Wars Uncharted
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Choosing best drivers for Z97-A
- Ubisoft's Rainbow Six Siege Coming To Belong Gaming Arenas
- Sunless Skies Leaves Early Access
- Space Justice Now Available For iOS And Android Devices
- Forge an Epic Team of Heroes in Forged Fantasy, Now Available From Hothead Games
- Kingdom Hearts III 'Share Your Heart Out' Campaign Spreads Love Across Social Media