Sequential Mixed Read / Write Workloads
In this series of tests, we measure mixed workload performance. We start with 100% read, and then add data writes to the mix in 10% increments until we get to 100% writes. We believe this will be the next major area SSD manufacturers will address, after performance consistency.
Sequential Mixed Workload Bandwidth
We have three drives highlighted in our sequential mixed workload chart, where all of the drives are tested in steady state. This mimics heavy sequential workloads with a lot of data, like editing very large videos. Samsung's SSDs usually do poorly here since the garbage collection scheme is aggressive. The 850 EVO doesn't drop off nearly as low as the previous generation mainstream Samsung SSD, the 840 EVO. There is some variation as the mix gets closer to 50% reads and 50% writes taking place at the same time, but the drop off is nothing like the 840 EVO.
Sequential 80% Read / 20% Write Bandwidth
At the 80% read / 20% write mix, the 850 EVO is right with the 850 Pro. This is starting to sound like a theme; the 850 EVO is much closer to the performance of the flagship 850 Pro than the 840 EVO was to the 840 Pro.
Random Mixed Workload Response Time
The random 4K 50% read / 50% write mixed IOPS performance again shows the 850 EVO performing almost identically to the 850 Pro in all but the lowest queue depth tested. At QD2 (because you can't have a read / write operation at QD1), the 850 EVO trails the Pro model, but at QD4, the performance really picks up.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Inland Professional SATA III moves to 2nd place at Amazon
- Offensive language in Rainbow Six Siege now gives insta-ban
- Nintendo teases future updates for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- MoonQuest comes to Steam Early Access 7 years later
- Nintendo Switch soon to feature 1000+ games, all regions
- Unlock Outlook PST Recovery Tool
- ASRock Z370 Extreme4 produces a high-frequency sound
- Thin, Light & Narrow Bezel, MSI GS65 Gaming NB Review
- iStorage diskashur DT2 12TB Review
- Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 rev 1.0
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit