These two terms have been going around a lot over the past year or so (actually longer but boards were not powerful enough to make it feasible), and some folks get confused by them. Without going into an in-depth discussion about the workings of the two elements, it all boils down to the ability of the video hardware to produce a visual display without the jagged edges to straight lines seen at an angle. These two methods allow the video card to do just this, but at the cost of some frames per second.
While testing this feature I used Doom 3 since it is new and also has a very sinister appearance with numerous buildings and straight lines portrayed. That and the game is just damn cool. Here are some screenshots taken that show off the AA/AF capabilities of the X800 XT. As always, you can click on the small images on this page to see a larger version of the screenshot. They are saved in .jpg format to be considerate to those who don't have broadband as the original .tga files were over 2MB each. Settings were adjusted to 4xAA and 8xAF.
Image quality speaks for itself here. The quality depicts straight edges and even smoothes out curved textures. With regards to the performance hit, I took the screenshots in 1024x768 resolution and dropped from an average of 63 FPS to 59FPS so the performance hit is minimal. To receive this kind of image enhancement at so meager a performance drop, it becomes an easy choice to use the AA/AF settings.
As a side note, I found it a good deal easier to set the AA/AF preferences within the display properties of the video board than to use the in-game ones. They tended to be a little picky and if you chose something your card didn't like, it automatically reverted to no AA/AF and a screen resolution of 640x480. This just isn't the way I envisioned playing Doom 3.
Last updated: Dec 13, 2019 at 07:15 pm CST
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.co.uk
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.com.au
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon.ca
Deutschland: Finde andere Technik- und Computerprodukte wie dieses auf Amazon.de
- Sapphire X800 XT - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Sapphire X800 XT - Page 2 [In The Box]
- Sapphire X800 XT - Page 3 [The Video Board]
- Sapphire X800 XT - Page 4 [The Video Board ~ Cont.]
- Sapphire X800 XT - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Methodology]
- Sapphire X800 XT - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Futuremark]
- Sapphire X800 XT - Page 7 [Benchmarks - AquaMark 3]
- Sapphire X800 XT - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Quake III Arena]
- Sapphire X800 XT - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2004]
- Sapphire X800 XT - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Sapphire X800 XT - Page 11 [AA/AF Quality]
- Sapphire X800 XT - Page 12 [Overclocking and Conclusion]