Throw Everything at the iPhone, it Doesn't Slow Down
Not that I'm a massive performance enthusiast on mobile devices, but Apple is definitely great at optimizing their devices. I used the phone pretty heavily for just over a week without any problems. I didn't experience any lag whatsoever, or any crashes or performance-related issues.
I played a bunch of games, streamed 1080p YouTube videos over 4G and Wi-Fi, streamed and played copious amounts of music, and web surfed till the sun came up - the iPhone handled it all, but so it should.
Performance is something I don't like talking about on smartphones, as it changes from person to person depending on pre-installed apps, where they purchased it (and if it came with pre-installed apps), and about 3.5 million other variables that make it hard to really analyze performance.
Personally, I found no issues - but from previous experience with the iPhone, it's after months of use that it begins to feel and act slower, and so does the battery life.
Gotta Keep That Expensive, New iPhone Protected, Right?
For the week or so I had the new iPhone 6 Plus, I was using an Apple-designed leather case. It felt great to use, but it did make the phone thicker - something I didn't like. It does make the phone feel much safer in your hands, removing that super-slick feel that makes it feel like this close-to-$1000-smartphone feel like it's going to slide right out of your hands.
The bulk it does add to the phone isn't that bad, but I'm the kind of person who uses their device naked. I don't like covers, but I didn't mind the leather case that Apple had made for the iPhone 6 Plus. So if you're in the market for something to protect your brand new investment, definitely take a look at the leather case.
We Have a New Camera Benchmark
Even though it only has an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera, gosh darn does the iPhone 6 Plus take some truly beautiful photos. It's even great in low-light situations, which was surprising. Instead of me talking about it, take a look at some of the photos I took with my time on the iPhone 6 Plus. Below are uncompressed photos straight from the phone.
All-Day Battery Life, Yes Please
Another one of the things that Apple does well, is battery life, with the new iPhone 6 Plus being no exception. I had all-day battery life without a problem, and standby time on it was exceedingly good as well. I had it sitting on my desk for two of the days, where I took it off charge at around 9am, with it receiving countless notifications in the meantime and light use (Facebook and email) taking it down to 81% by 5pm or so.
When out and about snapping photos and using 4G, the battery life began to dive down considerably quicker. Using 4G was taking another 20-30% of my battery within an hour or two of moderate use (again, Facebook, email and some light Spotify use).
Benchmarks - Does Apple Have What It Takes?
Ah, benchmarks - is this where Apple topples the competition with its dual-core CPU and moderate GPU? Let's find out, starting off with 3DMark and its Ice Storm Unlimited test.
We see that Apple is keeping toe-to-toe with the Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 3 from Samsung, but gets beaten by the Xperia Z2. The super-cheap, and still-relevant Nexus 5 is barely edged out by Apple, while the QHD-powered LG G3 loses to the iPhone 6 Plus.
Well then. Moving onto GFXBench 3.0 and its 1080p Off-screen tests, we see that Apple is absolutely demolishing the competition.
When it comes to the Fill Rate Off-screen test within GFXBench 3.0, we see that Apple still holds its own, losing out to the Xperia Z2, and just a few digits off of the Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy S5 from Samsung.
In GFXBench 3.0's ALU Test Off-screen, the iPhone 6 Plus gets trampled.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get caught up in 'Girl in the Spider's Web' Blu-ray giveaway
- Activision: Destiny was tying up our resources
- Activision cut jobs to focus on monetization as well as dev
- Anthem's epic skins cost $8.50 a piece
- Crackdown 3 only exists to sell Game Pass subscriptions
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- Serexin: https://www.ketotoneworld.com/serexin-reviews/
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- New Screenshots for ShaRkPG, Maneater | PC Version to Support NVIDIA Ansel Technology
- The world's first judicial friendship simulator takes to Kickstarter in Supreme Courtship!
- Cupid hits Ring of Elysium with Valentine's Day event
- New Gameplay Video for World-Shaping RTS Bannermen Released
- Nokia launches Cognitive Collaboration Hubs to help operators design 5G networks and create AI-enabled use cases