Micron M500DC Internals
The 800 GB Samsung 845DC PRO comes in a 2.5" form factor with a 7mm z-height in the typical Samsung motif.
Going back to a larger 30nm lithography on V-NAND brings the benefit of lower programing voltages. One of the differentiators between the 400GB and 800GB models is the incrementally higher random write consumption. The 800GB model requires 3.3 watts for random write activity, as opposed to 3.1 watts for the 400GB variant.
Overall, 3D V-NAND features lower power draw, which we will be testing in the following pages. Lower power requirements also have the added benefit of lowering heat output. The case does not feature the thermal pads we are accustomed to seeing in class-leading SSDs, likely due to the lower power consumption. The 845DC PRO also features Dynamic Thermal Guard, which throttles the SSD if deployed in an environment above the temperature rating of the SSD.
The 800GB model features double the number of 128GB packages of first-generation Samsung 3D V-NAND populate in comparison to the 400GB model. Eight packages occupy the top of the PCB. The 800GB models also has three more capacitors than the 400GB model. 18 Tantalum power capacitors ring the rear of the PCB to protect the 1GB of LPDDR2 cache. These capacitors flush data in transit to the NAND in the event of host power loss.
The eight-channel Samsung S4LN021X01-8030 controller, more commonly known as the MDX, is a 300MHz Cortex R4-based ARM controller. The tri-core controller is designed and manufactured by Samsung. The MDX is featured in several other Samsung SSDs, and has a long record of reliability.
Samsung 845DC PRO Specifications
Samsung releases in-depth latency and QoS performance metrics. The pre-production model we are testing features DXV80X3Q firmware.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Samsung 845DC EVO Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and Web Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Mega Man Legacy Collection has sold 1 million units
- Mario's voice enters Guinness World Record, 100 performances
- Mortal Engines movie could HARDCORE fail, $42m made so far
- God of War's director confirms viewable Death Stranding demo
- New Street Fighter V character 'Kage' image leaked early
- Symbaroum: Yndaros - The Darkest Star expansion Released Today
- Enjoy the Winter Season of R.O.H.A.N.: Blood Feud
- Warlords Awakening release surprises for Christmas
- The Switchblade Christmas Update Is Out Now
- Great Britain & Ireland DLC Out Now For Railway Empire