Samsung has been aggressively pushing into the branded SSD market with their 3-bit MLC 845DC EVO and 2-bit 3D V-NAND 845DC PRO series. The SATA enterprise SSD market is expanding rapidly, and just crossed the one billion dollar mark last year. SSDs have nearly gone mainstream in the datacenter, and there is no shortage of applications for high-performance SSDs. The enterprise SSD market will only continue to expand as more server architectures are specifically designed around the increased performance provided by SSDs.
The two-pronged attack is unique in that it offers two new types of NAND. 3-bit MLC, or TLC as it is commonly known as, offers a value-conscious price point, and excellent performance for read-centric applications. The 845DC PRO series utilizes Samsung's exclusive 3D V-NAND technology, covered in detail here, to offer premium performance and endurance for write-centric workloads.
The 845DC PRO features Samsung's first generation 24-layer V-NAND. V-NAND is 3D NAND that achieves better density, performance, endurance, and power consumption, via vertical stacking of the NAND cells and CTF technology. This runs counter to the established norm of increasing density through NAND shrinks, and with good reason. Shrinks provide more density, but actually reduce endurance.
The 400GB and 800GB models share many of the same performance metrics. Both models offer leading sequential speed of 530 / 460 MB/s read/write, and the same 4k random read speed of 92,000 IOPS. The 800GB model offers a 1,000 IOPS increase in 4k random write speed, up to 51,000 IOPS, but we measured a much larger difference in our testing. The 800GB model also utilizes 1GB of DDR2 DRAM cache, in comparison to the 512MB on the 400GB model.
Power consumption is only listed as .2 watts higher for the 800GB model, in spite of the fact that it features double the number of NAND packages, and a larger DRAM cache. This small increase in power consumption is indicative of the low power consumption of V-NAND packages. Users who require more TBW (Terabytes Written) from their storage solution often choose high capacity SSDs for their more desirable endurance characteristics. The 845DC PRO delivers up to ten DWPD (Drive Writes Per Day) of endurance during the warranty period, or up to 7.3 PB for the 400GB and 14 PB for the 800GB Model.
Samsung addresses quality concerns with tantalum power capacitors, end-to-end data protection, a two million hour MTBF, and a one per 10E17 UBER rating. The 845DC PRO is also backed by a five-year warranty.
Samsung has also focused on delivering consistent performance, with 99.9% of 4k I/O at QD32 served in 0.6ms for read and 5ms for write operations for both models. Samsung also highlights their focus on providing predictable performance by providing in-depth latency targets for their SSDs. The 400GB 845DC PRO changed our expectations for what a leading enterprise SATA SSD should be; let's see how the 800GB model stacks up.
PRICING: You can find the Samsung 845DC PRO Enterprise SSD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Samsung 845DC EVO Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and Web Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- WD launches new super-fast external gaming drives with up to 2GB/sec
- Neo returns in Matrix 4, Keanu Reeves to star
- Gears 5 PC spec recommendations are pretty lax: GTX 970, Intel i5 CPU
- Squall's moody teen angst gets remastered next month for $20
- Watch Dogs Legion has MILLIONs of playable characters
- Pengo USB-C Dock Review
- Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.3 F12 to UEFI
- Z68X-UD3H-B3 Rev. 1.3 F12 to UEFI
- Corsair K57 RGB Wireless Gaming Keyboard Review
- I5-8250U laptop throttling while gaming. New fan, new heat sink yet, new thermal yet no avail. Please help.
- Yubico Launches the World's First Lightning-Compatible Security Key, the YubiKey 5Ci
- Monkey King: Hero Is Back Pre-Orders Now Open on Steam
- Lionsgate and Bloober Team Release New Blair Witch 'Insanity' Story Trailer
- PINBRAWLER CREATURE IN THE WELL PRE-ORDERS NOW LIVE GAME LAUNCHES SEPTEMBER 6
- NEW DATING SIM GAME ANNOUNCED: NOW WITH 100% MORE DOGS You'll want to get your paws on this one On Valentine's Day, 2020