Test System Setup
To see our testing methodology, and to find out what goes into making our charts, please refer to our CPU Cooler Testing and Methodology article for that information.
Seeing how much we liked the Ouranos, we like that the Mugen Max cooler tied the Ouranos' 51.25 degree result. Although this Mugen Max is larger, and the fan is specified to be slightly better, we would have assumed this cooler to do slightly better. This is still an admirable feat nonetheless.
When we allow the overclock to deliver roughly 110W to the cooler, we see that it falls just slightly behind the Ouranos this time, as the Mugen Max provides an average of 72.08 degrees in our testing. This is where more fins in the stack wins out.
However, in the grand scale of things, considering there is only a slight difference in cost, we feel Scythe has delivered a top-tier cooler, capable of taking on a healthy overclock, and keeping things cool.
Noise Level Results
With the voltage limited, as we always do for this test, we saw only 870 RPM in AIDA64 for the fan, and recorded a 31 dB noise level at this point.
To add a bit of perspective to that, once the case is closed up and the system is running, it is hard to pick up over chassis and PSU fans.
While the sound levels do peek at 51 dB with full power to the fan, it really isn't all that bad, and more in the average range for a tower style cooler.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Scythe Mugen Max SCMGD-1000 CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo to miss 20 million Switch sales, analysts predict
- Decidueye was considered for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- If Anthem's cosmetics fail, paid expansions are likely
- The Divison 2 story sets U.S. capital aflame with chaos
- Lords of the Fallen devs open indie publishing label
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- Gigabyte ga-b75-d3v rev 1.0
- EX58-UD5 w/ RX580 GPU: unexpected system shutdown when monitor sleeps
- Customers Ask and Canon Delivers: New Professional Print & Layout Solution Now Available for Commercial, In-house and Professional Photographers
- OPPO Unveiled 10x Lossless Zoom, Ahead of Its Debut at MWC 2019
- True Flip Reveals Crypto-Themed Mining Factory With Plasmatron Bonus
- Stardock Announces a New Expansion for Galactic Civilizations III - Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution
- Cyberpunk Action-RPG Disjunction Coming to Steam Summer 2019