Scythe Mugen Max SCMGD-1000 CPU Cooler
Looking at the Mugen Max head on, it is easy to see the individual fins are spaced exclusively with the bits that surround the heat pipes; there are no tabs to block air flow in this design. Instead, there are four channels cut deep into the fins to help concentrate the air flow in the sections where the heat pipes pass through them.
Below the fin stack, we find the two-piece copper base assembly that not only transfers heat to the pipes, but also has pre-cooler fins on either side of where the crossbar mounting bracket slides through to hold the cooler to the motherboard.
Not only does Scythe leave the side of the cooler completely open, again with no support tabs even, but we also see that this cooler has that offset where the cooler is moved away from the memory, and allows access to all for slots.
From this angle, we can see how the deep cuts section off the fins, but we also see the aggressive saw-toothed pattern on the edges, and even a slight inset of most of the fins from the edges where the fan will rest. At the far end, we see a hole in the center groove, this allows for a screwdriver to slide through, in addition to allowing the mounting of the crossbar bracket.
From this angle of the Mugen Max, we can see near the top much more clearly. We can see where the grooves are cut to allow the wire fan clips to slide into the sides of the cooler, and not only is it ready for dual fans with grooves at both sides, but there are enough fan clips provided as well.
The top of the cooler has this thick, one-millimeter plate applied to it. It is held in place with four chromed pins, one at each corner, and the only thing to break up this finely polished finish is the large Scythe logo below the mounting access hole.
Before we get a look at the base, we wanted to show the layout of the heat pipes as they enter the fins. Hopefully this image helps to explain our earlier comments about their orientation and paths through the Mugen Max to efficiently distribute and remove the heat.
Of course, against a razor blade, the center of the base is slightly higher, and the edges do taper off a bit, but most of that variance is outside of the contact area. As for the surface treatment, it doesn't get much closer to a perfect mirror finish than this.
We do have the fan installed slightly higher than we will during testing, but for the purpose of the image, we like to show both the top and bottom of the fin stack to illustrate how well the fan covers. This 140mm fan not only covers the fin stack well, but it will also blow a bunch of air under the cooler to the pre-cooler base, and over the motherboard components.
With the fan on the cooler in profile view, we now are dealing with 111mm of width. Not too cumbersome to deal with, but space can become an issue if a second fan is added to the back.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Scythe Mugen Max SCMGD-1000 CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- MSI's new MEG 390 GODLIKE motherboard leaked, looks awesome
- Death Stranding's bizarre new trailer is darkly enchanting
- Square Enix to double down on service games
- Nintendo 64 Classic Edition likely on the way
- Anthem's early play trials are paygated
- EP2C602 wont post
- صيانة كريازى مصر 0235700997 | توكيل ثلاجة كريازى الت
- صيانة جنرال اليكتريك مصر 0235700994 | توكيل ثلاجات ج
- صيانة كلفينيتور مصر 0235700997 | توكيل ثلاجات كلفين
- Battery Issue
- Kensington Unveils LD5400T Thunderbolt 3 Dual 4K Dock with K-Fob Smart Lock
- Crashbots is coming to Steam on the 9th of October!
- Linksys Launches High Performance, Enterprise-grade Cloud Networking Management For SMB Networks Without Licensing Fees
- BIOSTAR Presents Professional Crypto Mining Motherboards
- Animoca Brands partners with OpenST Limited to develop blockchain-powered games