WD Red Internals
The WD Red comes in both 2.5" and 3.5" form factors; however, there is a reduction in capacity on 2.5" models. The breather port on the bottom of the drive indicates this is a standard air-filled HDD. The 6TB WD Red utilizes five platters with PMR technology.
A foam pad between the case and the PCB helps absorb vibration, and the controller has a thermal pad that sheds heat into the case of the drive. There are angled mounting pads open for accelerometers on the upper right and lower left of the PCB. These pads are empty because the Red uses software-based vibration detection. Advances in NASware 3.0 allow the Red to be placed into eight bay NAS systems. The WD PIKE motor controller is in the middle upper left of the PCB.
The Marvell controller is flanked by a 64MB multi-segmented cache package.
The WD Red features a standard 6Gb/s SATA port that allows use in the majority of one to eight bay NAS systems.
WD Red Specifications
The WD Red Pro features Advanced Format, Streaming Support, SMART Command Transport (SCT) for monitoring, and power management support. All data flushes to the platters in the event of power loss. The Red Pro is available in 1TB to 6TB capacities with the WD10EFRX, WD20EFRX, WD30EFRX, WD40EFRX, WD50EFRX, and WD60EFRX part numbers, respectively.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [WD Red Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and File Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sharkoon release the S1000 Micro-ATX case range
- FSP release 2000W dedicated mining power supply
- Black Friday sales sees Oculus Rift down to just $349
- Elon Musk receives approval for tunnel under LA
- Samsung could unveil the Galaxy S9 at CES 2018 in January
- Jaybird X3 Wireless Earbud Review
- ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Bluetooth
- ALiveNF6G-VSTA motherboard: squematic and dump BIOS
- Asrock H97m Pro4 BSOD installing Vega56
- GA-X79-UD7 memory frequency?
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Swift PG27VQ