In all honesty, I wasn't expecting very much from the ECS Photon PF1 Deluxe motherboard simply because we have seen ECS try for big things in the past and failed. ECS for one put a lot of effort into the first SiS 735 based motherboard for AMD Athlon XP back in the Single Channel DDR days but poor overclocking and limited feature sets from a company that was trying to pioneer new things really didn't shape up too well at all.
The ECS Photon PF1 Deluxe motherboard is a mixed blessing of features, with a crippled overclocking potential. This motherboard does feature everything you would want to have on a motherboard like Firewire, USB 2.0, Gigabit LAN and Serial ATA which is great but to make it a motherboard the enthusiasts will like it has to have more than the simple FSB only adjustments. The lack of Vcore, VDIMM and DRAM and ratio dividers really puts a sour taste in our mouth, while good for the family multimedia PC who is on a budget, enthusiasts can get a lot better elsewhere.
Next time we hope to see the same efforts which we have seen here from ECS today but with more attention to detail to the overclocker. The ECS Photon PF1 Deluxe motherboard could have easily been an award winner but it wasn't to be this time.
Serial ATA support
5.1 Channel Audio
Good connector placement
PCI Extreme slot for cleaner sound
No Voltage or ratio control for CPU, DRAM and dividers
CSA Ethernet bus not used
Rating - 7.5 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- ECS PF1 Deluxe Photon - Page 1 [Introduction]
- ECS PF1 Deluxe Photon - Page 2 [Specifications]
- ECS PF1 Deluxe Photon - Page 3 [Features]
- ECS PF1 Deluxe Photon - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra 2004]
- ECS PF1 Deluxe Photon - Page 5 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- ECS PF1 Deluxe Photon - Page 6 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- ECS PF1 Deluxe Photon - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Aquamark3]
- ECS PF1 Deluxe Photon - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- ECS PF1 Deluxe Photon - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- ECS PF1 Deluxe Photon - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- ECS PF1 Deluxe Photon - Page 11 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- SK Hynix announces GDDR6, offers up to 14Gbps of bandwidth
- Nintendo shows off most downloaded eShop games
- Battlefield 1: Apocalypse DLC details aerial dogfights
- Nintendo Switch sells 1.5 million units last month
- Epic Games doubts the success of their own MOBA Paragon
- ASRock X370 Gaming-ITX/ac Gaming (AMD X370) Motherboard
- Z270 Extreme 4 post issue
- NVIDIA's next-gen TITAN X should rock 16GB GDDR6 at 14Gbps
- SuperData Analyst Interview on Call of Duty: WWII Success
- GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI (Intel Z370) Motherboard Review
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series