WD Red Pro Internals
The WD Red Pro comes in the typical 3.5" form factor. The previous generation Red also came in a 2.5" variety, but the Pro version does not. The breather port on the bottom of the drive indicates that this is a standard air filled HDD. The WD Red Pro uses five platters with PMR technology.
A large foam covering helps to mitigate vibrational forces between the PCB and the case. Two thermal pads facilitate cooling of the drive motor controller (middle right), and the Marvell controller that manages the drive. Two accelerometers occupy opposing corners of the PCB. These detect rotational and linear vibration so the drive can react and correct head positioning.
The Marvell 88i9346-TFJ2 controls the WD Red Pro and the Samsung 64 MB multi-segmented cache sets above the controller.
The WD Red Pro features a standard 6Gb/s SATA connection.
WD Red Pro Specifications
The WD Red Pro features Streaming Support, SMART Command Transport (SCT) for monitoring, and power management support. All data is flushed to the platters in the event of power loss. The Red Pro is available in 2TB-4TB capacities, with the WD2001SFFX, WD3001FFSX, and WD4001FFSX part numbers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [WD Red Pro Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and File Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds will 'soon' get map selection
- Australian High Court REJECTS Valves appeal to $3M fine
- Skyrim Special Edition - 4K and 8K textures mods available
- God of War director reads reviews on video, shows true heart
- Witcher 3 mod allows Geralt to go full Benjamin Button
- ADATA Premier Memory Cards
- Can't complete BIOS recovery
- Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Puck RX570 Review
- Akitio Thunder3 10G Network Adapter
- Can I install a Soundblaster THX TruStudio Pro Snd Crd in my GA-170X-Gaming 7 MoBo?
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit