Installation and Finished Product
The backplate has pre-installed plastic spacers to isolate it from the motherboard for Intel sockets. You can align the plate in two ways, and once settled on orientations, simply send the studs through while aligning the flat spot on them with the flat side of the backplate holes.
On the top side, we slid on the black plastic spacers, and set the Intel top brackets on either side of the socket, making it all one solid piece by tightening the thumbscrews to each stud. Now we just need some paste, the cooler, and the cross bar, and we can have this mounted.
This image was taken with a higher perspective than usual to accentuate the fact that when the fans are installed and resting on the mounting hardware, this is as low as it will go. Measuring the cooler now, we are around 185 to 190mm in height, making this cooler too tall for most mid-towers, and even too tall for quite a few full-tower cases.
We lifted the fan a bit for this image; with it all the way down, it was hard to tell where the fan ended and the memory slots began. However, the point here is that the fan is completely out of the way for even the tallest memory on the market in all four slots.
We can see this cooler is a bit deep from left to right, and adding a second fan may pose a challenge to accessing the eight-pin when installing the motherboard with the cooler already on it. Although, with as easy as these fans are to get on and off, that is not really much of an issue at all.
Once we had the cooler on the motherboard, and all of it in the chassis, we could step back and have a look at the finished product. While the cooler looks nice, is solidly mounted, and posed no issues getting to the motherboard screws, the fan clips will definitely cause issues with the first PCI slot on most motherboards.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Alpenfoehn Brocken 2 CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Facebook stock drops $50 billion in two days, biggest ever
- GeForce 391.24 WHQL drivers: Game Ready for Sea of Thieves
- The Matrix launches on 4K Blu-ray on May 22
- GIGABYTE releases RX 580 Gaming Box, portable mining box!!
- NVIDIA powers 92.2% of VR gamers, leaves AMD with just 7.8%
- Buy 5 Pieces Apple iPhone X 64GB New Unlocked $4,245
- NZXT H700i Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- TRENDnet Four Channel DVR Kit Review
- Asus G75 won't boot
- ROG G75 won't boot bios
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit