Alpenfoehn Brocken 2 CPU Cooler
The Brocken 2 is designed with a split in the middle of the tower, and each side had forty-six fins pressed over the nickel plated pipes. Each side is then capped with a thicker plate that has also been nickel plated. At the base of the cooler, the aluminium is milled to accept a large cross bar to hold the cooler in place.
One thing worth mentioning here is that the sides are completely open, and will allow a lot of the fan's air flow to escape. Another thing to mention is that the heat pipes are offset like the ones on the ECO were, which should allow for complete memory clearance.
Even when it comes down to the fins, we see the Brocken 2 and the ECO share a lot here too. The basic fin shape is the same; they both have angled sections, and both offer the saw tooth pattern on the leading and trailing edges.
A different perspective of the side of the cooler shows the large size of the groove used to snap in the fan clips. We can also see the staggered fins in groups of four; in each grout there are three longer fins, and the fourth fin is much shorter. This does little for performance, but it does look nice.
The top of the cooler mimics the outer shape of the rest of the fin stacks, but there are three changes here. Rather than being left natural, the top plates are nickel plated. The caps are also formed with the intent to allow room for the pipe tips underneath. Lastly, these are just pressed into holes in the fins, rather than pressed over the pipes like the rest of the stack is.
Alpenfoehn chooses to use a clear sticker to protect this base from oxidation more than damages. Since the cooler rests comfortably in the dense foam, damage is highly unlikely. Be sure to pull this off prior to mounting the cooler.
In the Gapless H.D.C. base design, we see five 6mm heat pipes that get milled as flat as possible without damaging the pipes, exposing the copper. Also, we have not done anything to this cooler, the TIM you see is from the factory, and helps to fill the gaps in most other direct contact base designs.
It is easy to see once the 140mm fan is strapped to the cooler body that the fan does indeed add quite a bit of height to this cooler. One might say "just drop the fan some, stupid." Well, that is a good idea, until you realize the large screw on the cross bar is under this fan once it is mounted, and limits the lowering of it.
We found this cooler came with some pretty interesting fan isolation bits. Each hole has to have this rubber plug installed to isolate it from the fins, but the center is hollow in the plugs, so it allows the clips to rest there too. The instructions do not cover this very well, so we made sure to address it.
With this kit, Alpenfoehn sends along enough fan clips and fan isolation plugs so that this cooler is ready to run with two fans out of the box; you just need to buy the matching Wing Boost 2 140mm fan. Also, keep in mind, the same thing that blocks the lowering of the front fan is also under the back fan when mounted.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Alpenfoehn Brocken 2 CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Digital PS4 game sales locked exclusively to PSN
- Enter the 'Spider-Verse' for our Spider-Man Blu-ray giveaway
- Epic Store has 85 million users
- Google Stadia only works with Pixel phones, Chromecast on TV
- Switch could use Microsoft voice chat technology
- Do anyone can help in converting Outlook PST Files into EML format
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB795SP-B Review - 3.5" & 2.5" Single Bay
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced