The bulk of Samsung's enterprise SSD offerings focused on the OEM space in the past. Samsung has recently begun to open up their product line to the broader retail market with the release of the 845DC PRO and the 845DC EVO. Both of these SSDs utilize new NAND technologies, 3D V-NAND and 3-bit MLC respectively, that offer tangible benefits for their respective target environments.
While the new products sport the latest in NAND technology, the 843 series from Samsung features their tried-and-true 21nm Toggle MLC NAND. The SM843 (reviewed here) is geared for lighter read-centric workloads with 20-30% read/write distributions. The SM843T we are testing today offers robust endurance for workloads with 40-50% read/write distributions. The SM843T expands write endurance up to 1.8 DWPD, an increase over the 1 DWPD provided by the SM843. The SM843T offers up 1,930 TBW of endurance for the 480GB model, and 3,680 TBW for the 960 GB capacity.
Another differentiator between the two models is the inclusion of Power-Loss Protection (PLP). Power-loss protection in the Samsung SM843T is provided by tantalum capacitors, and Samsung's Sudden Power Off and Recovery (SPOR) technology.
The SM843T comes in 2.5 and 1.8" form factors in 120, 240, 480, and 960 GB capacities. The SM843T sports 4k random read speeds of 60,000 IOPS, and 11,000 IOPS for 4k random write. Sequential read is impressive at 500 MB/s, and sequential write speed weighs in at 370 MB/s.
The SM843T also offers up an endurance increase of up to 5.4 DWPD when overprovisioning the drive to a useable capacity of 100, 200, 400, or 800 GB. This is helpful for users who wish to sacrifice capacity to increase endurance. Samsung also lists an increased 4k random write speed of up to 35,000 IOPS when using the same overprovisioning levels that increase endurance. Providing these specific guidelines for overprovisioning is helpful, and we would like to see other manufacturers follow suit.
The SSD features a slim 7.5mm chassis, and leverages the three-core MDX controller and 512MB of DDR2 SDRAM. Samsung produces all of the components, which can be a considerable advantage in many aspects. The SM843T features an UBER rating of one per 10E17, and a two-million hour MTBF. The SM843T also offers AES-256 encryption for the security conscious.
The SM843Tn is currently supplanting the SM843T. The SM843Tn is a newer model with a die revision and similar performance and endurance specifications. The SM843Tn series will not feature a 960GB capacity point. The SM843T will provide the 960 GB model in the near term. The 3D V-NAND SV843 will supplant the 960 GB SM843Tn in the future.
All of the aforementioned features are rounded off with a five-year warranty. One of Samsung's big focuses with the SM843T is on performance consistency, and it shines through in our performance testing. Let's take a closer look.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Samsung SM843T Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and Web Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Switch VR may happen via Google Cardboard-like Labo kits
- Anthem's loading times may be a big problem
- Spider-Man developers thought the story wasn't funny enough
- Warner Bros. release teaser for Pokemon: Detective Pikachu
- China sprouts the first life ever made on the Moons surface
- Supermicro C9Z390-CG-IW (Intel Z390) Motherboard Review
- Z77X-UD5H Bios Issue When Setting CPU Multiplier Above 44
- Resident Evil 2 Remake Review: Fright Night
- HELP !!!! ASROCK Z77 PRO3 "NON-K OC MENU" disappeared :-(
- GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync DDR4-3200 16GB Memory Kit Review
- BundleFest is coming - Get ready for the biggest bundle event of the year
- Team NINJA Announces DEAD OR ALIVE 6 Deluxe Demo, World Championship, and SNK Collaboration
- Bandai Namco Entertainment America Inc. Launches Jump Force; The Ultimate Manga Crossover Extravaganza
- The Escape Room Puzzle Game Themed On The Seven Deadly Sins Will Hit Steam On Feb 28th
- [01Studio] Indie MMORPG - Citywars Savage