Alpenfoehn Brocken ECO CPU Cooler
With our first glance at the Brocken ECO, we can see there is a lot going on in this design. Not only is the tower split, but the fins are angled downward in the middle as well. Following the fins to the outside edges, we find the fins are pressed over the pipes that are spread apart, and are set up in multiple groups of three long fins and one shorter fin.
The sides are left open in this design; since the ECO has twice the airflow of the Sella with a larger fan, we can only assume they saw no need to close them off. Look at the base though; more specifically, look at how the pipes are offset. This is how Alpenfoehn offsets the CPU cooler to allow full memory compatibility.
We took a different viewpoint on back of the cooler. This is to show that the edges protrude outside of where the fan will sit on the fins. Where the fan does push air through the straight fin sections, each of them has a saw tooth pattern to break up the air, and raise the efficiency of what little air flow is provided.
As we spin around to this side of the cooler, from a lower angle we can see that there are defined grooves to accept the fan clips that hold the fan in place, and it is ready for two fans out of the box. We can also see that offset of every fourth fin, and that there was some off angled fins due to the lack of support on the sides.
The top of the Brocken ECO is more basic as well. The four pipe tips are visible, and the aluminium for the fins is exposed. This does not lessen the cooler in any way; it's just not as fancy as the Brocken 2.
The base of this cooler comes protected with a clear sticker that is very easy to miss at first glance. Of course, this is why they also paste the text on there, warning it needs to be removed.
Peeling the sticker allows an unimpeded view of the Gapless H.D.C. The aluminium section of the base is used for mounting and holding the heat pipes in at the sides only. By squeezing the pipes together, they all make contact with the CPU; and this makes the base more efficient than those with aluminium strips between them.
Most will use the Brocken ECO with the one fan that comes in the box strapped to the cooler.
Of course, since Alpenfoehn sent along a matching fan, and the hardware kit offers four fan clips, we will also be testing the Brocken ECO in this configuration.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Alpenfoehn Brocken ECO CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Core i9-7980XE benched: super-fast, but costs $1999
- Custom Radeon RX Vega cards not coming until November
- Oclean One: the world's smartest electric toothbrush
- Monster Hunter World launches January 2018
- Left Alive is Square Enix's shot at survival mech action
- ad240ehdgmbox on m3a785gmh/128m mainboard?
- 8K benched: RX Vega 64 vs. GTX 1080 Ti vs. TITAN Xp SLI
- AMD X399 TR4 Threadripper Motherboard Buyer's Guide
- Gigabyte System Information Viewer
- ASRock X399 Professional Gaming Motherboard Review
- In Win Launches 'Wood-infused' 305 Mid-Tower PC Chassis
- Micron appoints Anand Jayapalan as Storage Business Unit Vice President
- Bluehole, Inc and Microsoft announce expanded partnership for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower