Toshiba has continued to leverage their extensive OEM experience to deliver solid products at both ends of the enterprise storage spectrum. The HK3R is a reflection of that focus, with enterprise-specific features such as power loss protection, end-to-end data protection, a 2,000,000-hour MTTF, and an UBER rating of one per 10E17.
We found surprising strength in the HK3R's sequential workload performance during our testing. The HK3R is listed at 271 MB/s, but actually beat all competitors with 128k sequential write data at 456 MB/s. The sequential read performance is equally impressive; it only fell behind the 845DC EVO by a small margin. The 845DC EVO is a tough competitor in random read workloads, but the HK3R challenged it, ended up within a few thousand IOPS, and beat the remainder of the challengers. The HK3R's random write performance was acceptable, but the M500DC beats the crowd with its robust random write performance.
The HK3R will be a great fit for those with read-centric random workloads and sequential read/write workloads. One area the HK3R could improve is in performance consistency during mixed workloads, which experienced significant variability. Extra overprovisioning would help, but would come at the expense of some capacity.
The HK3R's primary differentiator is a higher level of endurance than the 845DC EVO and the DC S3500. The M500DC's endurance is higher, but it also features a lower one per 10E15 rating, in comparison to one per 10E17 for the HK3R.
Users should analyze performance metrics to find the best match for the intended workload and application, but price is always a major consideration. Comparing price in the competitive read-centric segment through retail pricing is an inexact science at best. Prices fluctuate wildly, and we advise readers to monitor current prices to find the best deals. Tier-2 OEM prices usually are comparable to retail, but Tier-1 OEM pricing can be lower.
The HK3R primarily sells as an OEM drive, so reliable pricing information is hard to come by. The Intel DC S3500 and Samsung 845DC EVO hover around a dollar per GB, while the M500DC has been around $1.10 per GB. The HK3R is expected to fall within the lower price structure of the DC S3500 and 845DC EVO.
The Toshiba HK3R, also known by the THNSNJ480PCS3 nomenclature, will make a good purchase for those in need of high sequential performance and random read performance. A complex mix of factors work into the purchasing decision. Toshiba has extensive experience in the OEM market. For OEM customers, support and experience in the OEM space is important. The five-year warranty is standard for its class, and it features a higher helping of endurance than some competing solutions. Without reliable pricing information, we are unable to judge its market position for an award. The Toshiba HK3R is a solid SSD that will find its way into plenty of slots in the datacenter. With the renewed vigor at Toshiba, we expect other exciting products to follow.
PRICING: You can find the Toshiba HK3R (THNSNJ480PCS3) 480GB Enterprise SSD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Toshiba HK3R (THNSNJ480PCS3) 480GB Enterprise SSD retails for $623.14 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Toshiba HK3R Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and Web Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rainbow Six Siege free-to-play trail beginning August 16th
- Rune: Ragnarok receives teaser trailer, screenshots & PC req
- Hi-Rez Studios announces creation of 3 distinct new studios
- Team17 announce New Game+ for Overcooked 2
- Dark Souls Remastered arrives on the Nintendo Switch Oct 19
- Buy (3 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $900
- Buy (2Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $800
- Fnatic miniSTREAK Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone 8 Plus/8/7 Plus/7/6s Plus New $2000
- RAID 0 on a really old Motherboard
- Legendary Actor Patrick Stewart To Narrate My Memory of Us
- Hi-Rez Studios Establishes New Development Studios, Strengthens Publishing Position
- Guardians of the Sky Arrives for TERA PC with Aerial Content and Limited Time Loot
- Lian Li Fuse Classic Brushed Aluminum and Modern RGB Lighting with new LANCOOL ONE Chassis
- Samsung's 16Gb GDDR6 Memory Powers Latest NVIDIA Quadro Professional Graphics Solution