Test System Setup
To see our testing methodology, and to find out what goes into making our charts, please refer to our CPU Cooler Testing and Methodology article.
While the Sella is not at the top of the charts, we did not really expect this much performance. At idle we saw temperatures of 27.5 degrees, and once loaded and running with the stock clocks, the 55.25 degree average is still 25 degrees cooler than the stock solution.
Considering the cost of its closest competitors, the value of the Sella is really boosted in this range thermally and economically.
To be honest, we assumed this cooler may even allow the CPU to thermal throttle once we applied the overclock. To our surprise, not only did it fail to throttle, but the 77.25 degree average here drops more than twenty degrees off the stock solution. There was also little to no noise, depending on the point of the PWM curve.
Noise Level Results
With only 7.5 volts of power delivered to the 92mm fan, we found it to be just audible at a foot away in the open air system. The meter reported the fan to be 33 dB at this time.
Once 12 volts are allowed to pass through the fan, some hint of the 92mm nature of the fan is audibly perceivable. Keep in mind, it is rare that you will hit the high-end of the PWM range in normal use, or even streaming something on the HTPC. So, this 48dB rating is worst case scenario in an open air chassis.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Alpenfoehn Sella CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Expert opinion: the best online privacy tool (sponsored)
- 10 new minutes of Anthem gameplay: boss fight, story & more
- FoxNext chooses the Nintendo Switch for Alien: Blackout
- Fire Emblem characters return in Smash Bros. Ultimate event
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate sold 5 million units in 1st week
- Trident Z Royal DDR4-4000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- HP EX950 SSD Review - When you want the fastest
- Pcie M.2 NVMe (1100mb/s as storage, 400mb/s in os)
- DC: Aquaman Cinema Review
- ADATA SX8200 Pro 256GB NVMe SSD Review
- Trailer shows the challenges of Etrian Odyssey Nexus
- Team Jolly Roger Announces launch Date For Real-Time Space-Ballistic Tactics Game 'Worbital'
- Music Card Game Upstart WOWs Top Musicians Worldwide with Their First Product
- Stardock Announces Galactic Civilizations III: Retribution Expansion
- Zerouno Games: Use your two neurons with Bleep Bloop. Launch Trailer Available