Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts
Since we're writing this just before everything officially goes live, we're not completely sure on the pricing and availability. Saying that, though, we should see the X99X Killer from ASRock hit the market the same time as other X99 motherboards, as it's clearly ready for the mass market. When it comes to the pricing, we've got to pull a bit of an educated guess.
While we don't know how much it's going to cost, we can with confidence say that it's going to be priced towards the middle of the pack. Both the Z87 and Z97 variant of the board are priced competitively against the competition. While it isn't going to be the cheapest motherboard, the fact that we've got some stand out features means it's likely going to be justified.
While the bundle isn't huge, the inclusion of the X Split Gift Certificate is a nice bonus. If you're thinking about signing up to something like Twitch to stream your gaming, using software like X Split is going to be perfect for you. The features are what really makes the board stand out. With a big focus on gaming, we've got that Killer E2200 network controller offered, alongside the Intel option, which is perfect for gamers.
We've also got the Gaming Armor feature which brings improvements over the motherboard to make for a quality and longer lasting product. The inclusion of Purity Sound 2 is nice as it helps offer a higher quality audio experience. Along with this, we've got those few Fatal1ty features which include KeyMaster, the Fatal1ty Mouse Port and F-Stream software, again making this board a good option for gamers.
ASRock do a good job of creating a motherboard that aims at every market and every price segment. The Killer series has done a good job of catering for gamers who want features that focus on offering a better gaming experience. While the X99X Killer will be priced well when compared to other X99 boards, it should end costing more than its Z97 alternative, as the base for it, the X99 chipset, is going to be more expensive. Throw in the inclusion of buying new DDR4 memory (a requirement) and a new Haswell-E based CPU (also a requirement), you're going to have quite an expensive system on your hands.
When it comes to comparing the ASRock X99X Killer to other X99 boards, it's a little difficult as it's the first one we've looked at in person and in detail. All we can do is talk about how it is as a motherboard just on its own merit. In the end, this is a really nice motherboard from ASRock. The black and red color scheme is a fan favorite of gamers and we've really got a nice group of features on the board.
Performance out the box is strong, but it's hard to tell just how that compares to other X99 boards at the moment. The one area that really impressed us was overclocking. As we've already mentioned, we haven't had a chance to really fine tune the overclocking side of things yet as we get used to our new CPU and chipset, and because of that, we wanted to just use the OC profiles built into the ASRock X99X Killer as a starting point.
By changing just one setting, we had a system that was running at 4.4GHz rock solid, a 900MHz overclock. While bringing with it some awesome performance gains, what we really loved was the temperature numbers under load. At 4.4GHz, our i7 5960X EE CPU paired with our Corsair H100i CPU cooler was running at just 59c. This is actually lower than most of our Z97 boards when running the i7 4790K at stock. That's a really impressive feat.
While the Intel Core i7 5960X EE processor works extremely well with the ASRock X99X Killer, it feels like this CPU maybe be better suited for one of ASRock's higher-end boards, something like Nick Shih's OC board, for instance. Instead, the X99X Killer feels better in my mind when paired with the i7 5930K if you're looking at a multi GPU setup, or maybe the i7 5820K if you're looking for just a single higher-end GPU.
All in all, though, if you're after a good looking motherboard that offers easy overclocking, nice out of the box performance and a feature set that is mainly aimed at gamers, this is a fantastic X99 option to consider. If this isn't exactly what you're looking for, keep an eye out over the coming weeks as we look at many other options from ASRock, and also other motherboard makers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Motherboard Details]
- Page 3 [BIOS Images and Information]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU & System Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [USB 2.0, USB 3.0 & SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [Memory & Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature & Power Testing]
- Page 9 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ROME: Total War is coming to iPhone, August 23rd
- Micron Outs In-House High Performance NVMe SSD Controller
- Silicon Motion Details SM2270 Enterprise SSD Controller
- Fullbright's Gone Hone will debut to the Nintendo Switch
- Dr. Strange/Avengers buildings spotted in Spider-Man trailer
- Buy (10 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $1,500
- Buy (5 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $1,150
- TRENDnet TWC-L10 Wi-Fi Light Bulb Security Camera Review
- Buy (3 Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $900
- Buy (2Pieces) Samsung Galaxy Note9/S9/S9+/S8+ New $800
- Let's Ragnarok! Legend of Solgard Launches worldwide on Mobile
- Snail Games Soft Launches My Dino in Canada
- Razer NOMMO Pro is Available For Purchase
- Beat-'Em-Up Coffee Crisis Out On Xbox One Today
- New World Boss Karanda Coming to Black Desert Online SEA