Test System Setup and Overclocking
Being the first Intel X99 motherboard we've looked at, our graphs today are heavily filled with Z97 based motherboards. Sitting alongside the ASRock X99X Killer that will be running at both stock and overclocked with our new i7 5960X EE, we've got the ASRock Z97X Killer, GIGABTYE Z97X GAMING G1WFI-BK Black Edition, ASUS ROG MAXIMUX VII FORMULA and GIGABYTE Z97N-GAMING 5 to round out motherboards that use the Intel i7 4790K. Along with those, we round out our motherboard line up with the ASRock Z87 Killer, which uses the older i7 4770K.
Before we get into the performance of the new i7 5960X EE, though, we need to cover the overclocking side of things to see just how much performance we can get out of this new processor. Any time it comes to overclocking a new processor, it can be a little difficult to know where to go. Everything then becomes even more confusing when you throw a new chipset into the mix, and a new type of memory (DDR4).
Fortunately the ASRock board has its own nice little section for pre-configured overclocks. We covered this on the previous page where in the second image you can see the "Load Optimized CPU OC Setting". Going into the menu, you're greeted with overclocks that range from 4GHz to 4.5GHz with the latter being highlighted in red.
Heading into the BIOS, we started at 4GHz and found everything working fine. We moved to 4.2GHz, and had no issues either. We jumped again to 4.4GHz and with much surprise, there were still no issues to talk about. We tried the last one 4.5GHz, which is highlighted red, and ran into a BSOD, as soon as we started benchmarking.
Looking above, you can see we ended up with a final clock speed of 4397MHz or 4.4GHz, as shown in our graphs today. This is an awesome overclock that was done with complete ease. It's a little tough to tell if this is a good CPU or not, as we have nothing to compare it against, but we are fairly impressed. This is a fantastic start, though, and a real testament to the ASRock board when it comes to making overclocking so easy. I'm really looking forward to seeing more boards from ASRock and seeing just what we can get out of this CPU as we get more and more used to dealing with it.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Motherboard Details]
- Page 3 [BIOS Images and Information]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU & System Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [USB 2.0, USB 3.0 & SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [Memory & Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature & Power Testing]
- Page 9 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, 5th best selling game for 2018
- Nintendo to reveal 'Indie Highlights' games for Switch 2019
- Overwatch tease 'Lunar New Year' Chinese dynasty theme skins
- FromSoftware President wouldn't mind a Demon Souls Remaster
- Resident Evil 2 to get 'Ghost Survivors' mode after launch
- Fractal Design Meshify S2 Black Dark TG Mid-Tower Review
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD Review - The 96-Layer Refresh
- best 470 board for Windows 7?????????
- Can't connect to my Wifi network
- Need advice and build help
- AZZ Inc. Issues Fiscal Year 2020 Guidance; Revenue of $950 - $1,030 million and Earnings per Share of $2.25 - $2.75
- The mobile communication antenna market will register a CAGR of over 6% by 2023
- Tractica and ConnecTechAsia Team Up with Knowledge Partnership
- ODEM Applauds Blockchain Centre Vilnius on Its First Anniversary
- Dale North Kicks Off PERFECT SELECTION Compilation Series