Close up with the HIS R9 280 IceQ X2 OC 3GB
Looking at the card, you could almost mistake it for any of the more recent high-end R9 Ice Q2 cards from HIS. That large heat sink and fan combination covers almost the entire PCB, and it actually shoots out of the back of the card. The dual fan setup sits on top of a massive heat sink, which includes a four heat pipe setup. This cooler has done extremely well with higher-end models, and we're looking forward to seeing how it does today with our overclocked R9 280.
Moving away from the cooler, and making our way around to the top of the card, you can see that power comes in the form of a single six-pin and eight-pin PCIe power connector. If we stay across the top, and move closer to the front of the card, you can see our two CrossFire connectors, and a switch that lets us move between two installed BIOS'.
To finish up our look at the card, we head over to the I/O, which sees my kind of setup. Along with the Dual-Link DVI-I and HDMI port, you can see that HIS has included two MiniDP connectors. This is great, but we must say it would've been nice to see them include a Mini DP to DP adapter in the bundle, even if that meant the exclusion of the DVI to VGA adapter.
As the name of the card suggests, the card is an overclocked model, and out of the box it sees a core clock of 953 MHz. This is slightly higher than the 940MHz clock that Sapphire's OC version had. The 3GB of GDDR5 is left at a stock level of 5000MHz QDR.
When it came to overclocking, the results where a little interesting. In the end, we managed to get the core up to a really strong 1170MHz. However, the memory didn't want to move. Increasing the memory tended to cause hard freezes, or artifacts. While we could've sacrificed some of the core speed to possibly get a bit out of the memory, the decrease in the core clock would've cost more performance than the increase in the memory clock would have given. We're looking forward to seeing how this card performs with this strong core clock.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Sky Diver & Catzilla]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks -Metro: Last Light & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Hitman: Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - GRID Autosport]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - 4K - 3840 x 2160 Testing]
- Page 15 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 17 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rainbow Six Siege goes free-to-play for the weekend, Nov 18
- Nintendo head wished Smash Ultimate launched in early 2018
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Director does Ultimate Q&A
- Game of Thrones Season 8: 'longer than 60 min' each episode
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey Nov patch: New Boss/Quests & More
- Netgear Insight Business Storage and Networking Management
- EML to PST Converter
- ASRock DeskMini 310 SFF PC Review
- Q87m-e/csm & ddr3 1600 ram
- Makeblock Announces Educational Partnership with Gratnells Storage Solutions
- Lex Machina Expands Employment Litigation Analytics with Launch of ERISA Module
- L'Oreal Launches La Roche-Posay My Skin Track UV--The First Battery-Free Wearable Sun Safety Sensor
- Drobo Launches High Performance 8D to Transform Storage Workflows
- CORSAIR Announces Support for Xbox One