Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts
Since this board is working its way towards the near $400 mark, this isn't a cheap motherboard. Instead, we'd say it's an expensive one, as it easily sits in the top ten when it comes to pricing. Whenever we're talking about a motherboard at this price point, the one thing we need to figure out is: Can the price be justified?
As soon as we saw the Maximus VII Formula, we immediately loved what ASUS had done with it. We've always been a fan of the shield concept that ASUS has offered, and today you can see just how great it looks in black on the Republic Of Gamers based board.
In the end, though, looks aren't enough to justify the high price tag. When it comes to performance, the numbers are pretty standard for the most apart. Out of the box, at stock, you see the numbers line up with other boards running at the same speed. With that said, we did see that SSD performance was down compared to our other boards under both AIDA64 and HD Tune Pro. While we'd thought this would have an overall effect on our system performance, you can see that outside of the synthetic SSD benchmarks, everything looks good.
What really shined, though, was the overclocking, which is where you'd hope a ROG board would shine. At 4.77GHz, we're dealing with the highest clock speed we've managed to obtain so far on our particular version of the i7 4790K. Looking through the benchmarks, you can see we do get a nice little bump in performance, but not a huge amount due to the simple fact that out of the box, the i7 4790K offers a 4.4GHz clock via turbo.
Aside from performance, the features and bundle are both really strong. What makes the bundle really stand out is the addition of the full version download of Watch Dogs, which is really a blast to play. Alongside that, we've got the COMBO card, which offers 802.11ac and Bluetooth 4.0, along with the option to install a M.2 drive.
This board isn't for everyone. At nearly $400, it's not an option for a lot of people, as they simply can't justify the associated cost. On the other hand, if you do have the money, and the desire to go for a high-end Z97 motherboard, then this might be just what you're looking for. Throw in the full version download of Watch Dogs, and you really add some value to the board. ASUS has brought us a great looking board that offers some awesome overclocking performance, and a ton of features.
PRICING: You can find the ASUS ROG Maximus VII Formula for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The ASUS ROG Maximus VII Formula retails for $339.99 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Motherboard Details]
- Page 3 [BIOS Images and Information]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [CPU & System Benchmarks]
- Page 6 [USB 2.0, USB 3.0, & SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [Memory & Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [Temperature & Power Testing]
- Page 9 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battlefield V goes GOLD, with DICE prepared for November 19
- NVIDIA quietly intros new GeForce GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5X
- PS4 exclusive Days Gone delayed to April 2019
- Thronebreaker gameplay shows blend of RPG and CCG
- Path of Exile coming to PS4, ratings listing suggests
- Akitio Thunder3 Dock Pro Review
- onboard LAN MAC 00:00:00:00:00:00 after BIOS update
- Intel Core i9-9900K 9th Gen Coffee Lake Review
- x79 compatibility with NVNe
- ASRock X399M Taichi Stuck on Splash Screen
- OnDeck Launches ODX for Banks
- Adobe Announces Next Generation of Creative Cloud at MAX 2018
- Sharkoon PURE STEEL: Minimalist PC Case for High-End Hardware
- Xara Designer Pro X v16 has been released
- Endless Road: Indie roguelite card game now on Steam