4K - 3840 x 2160 Testing
4K monitors are the next step for gamers demanding the best in image quality. With 4x the pixels of a standard 1920 x 1080 monitor (meaning 4x the intensity), 3840 x 2160 brings a new level of intensity to video cards.
To make sure that you're buying the right video card for a monitor that offers such a large resolution, we test the latest and greatest video cards in a couple of benchmarks to give you an idea of just what kind of setup you require.
Moving up to 4K, you can see the overclock that we've achieved really manages to push performance up to another level. Let's see if these kind of gains are also seen when we move to our real-world games.
Sleeping Dogs sees a nice performance boost over the PowerColor setup we tested the other day. You can see we're almost able to break the 100 FPS barrier at this massive resolution for the first time.
Hitman: Absolution performance is extremely strong. While the single R9 290X 4GB setups managed to give us playable FPS, you can see our overclocked MSI R9 280 3GB Twin Gaming OC in CrossFire setup helps give us some breathing room as the minimum hits 60 FPS, and the average moves into the 70 FPS range.
While you can see that Tomb Raider manages to make use of the extra MHz and move our minimum into that 30 FPS range that we want to see, the average remains quite low, coming in at just 44 FPS.
While GRID Autosport falls short of that 30 FPS minimum we want, the fact we've got 29 FPS and a 68 FPS average means this game would be more than playable at these settings, on this setup.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Sky Diver & Catzilla]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks -Metro: Last Light & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - GRID Autosport]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - 4K - 3840 x 2160 Testing]
- Page 15 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 17 [Pricing, Availability, and Final Thoughts]