Pictures and Videos
Photo display mode dimmed the display some and adjusted various settings to make photo edited easier and more accurate. Photos in Lightroom were easy to develop, with colors being close to true-to-life.
Switching to video mode brightens the screen back up, and brings back that somewhat washed-out look. It also adjusts the color temperature some. I fired up a 1080p movie and found that I preferred Standard or sRGB mode to video mode, though this could be due to the choice of movie not featuring dark scenes.
Overall, the monitor works quite well as a general purpose monitor, should you find a picture mode or adjustment that you like. It has good colors, sharpness, contrast, and adjustments. But this isn't why we're here.
Instead, we're here to talk about how it games. In FPS games, it's not so great, for obvious reasons as discussed in this review, with the main one being it is aimed at RTS gamers, not FPS gamers. However, people usually play more than one type of game, so we play around with multiple to see how versatile the display is.
For RTS games, having the pre-tuned monitor settings are a large plus, and certainly help your gaming ability in RTS games. The Black eQualizer helps bring out details hidden in the shadows, making target acquisition that much easier.
Something else to cover is the physical design. We like the simple assembly, but wish the stand had height adjustment. The eye-catching yellow backing is also quite nice, in our opinion, but it may not go with the theme of your PC, unless you're planning a yellow case build of course.
Using physical buttons for the OSD is a nice design feature, as we find ourselves having trouble with touch-sensitive OSD buttons. We also like the OSD menu options very much, as previously discussed. The monitor is also light and portable, due to its size and weight. It weighs just 3.2kg, so about the same as a desktop replacement laptop... or lighter. We also like the efficiency provided by its low power draw and relatively high brightness output.
But we're beating around the main bush, and that is price. BenQ sells the monitor for just $177, making it quite a deal for an RTS gamer. If you're not a huge RTS gamer, and find yourself as a general PC user or FPS gamer, there are other monitors for you. For the size, $177 is a bit on the high side, but it comes with BenQ's renowned quality and gaming performance.
At the end of the day, we wouldn't mind coming home to the RL2240HE on our desk for some RTS gaming. It is a solid product and should be on your list if you are in the market for a new monitor and mainly play RTS games.
PRICING: You can find the BenQ RL2240HE Gaming Monitor for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The BenQ RL2240HE Gaming Monitor retails for $159.99 at Amazon.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Specifications, Features & Pricing]
- Page 2 [Unboxing, Dead Pixels, Assembly and Port Layout]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup, OSD & Test Results]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Witcher 4 may be CD Projekt RED's next game
- Strong sales cement Anthem in EA's playbook
- Ocarina of Time Online brings co-op to Hyrule
- Nintendo could be considering making their own gaming phone
- New Minecraft update adds crossbows, shields, cats and more
- Getting SSD to boot
- Seagate Game Drive PS4 2TB Review
- GA-X99-UD5 rev 1.0 power ON issue
- Asus RT-N16 - Can´t get wifi to work
- ASUS RT-AX88U Wi-Fi 6 Router Review
- Killing Floor: Double Feature Coming May 21, 2019 to PlayStation Store and Game Retailers Near You
- Critically acclaimed retro platformer The Messenger hits PlayStation 4 today
- OMG Zombies! to invade Nintendo Switch on the 26th March!
- LEGO DC Super-Villains Releases Batman: The Animated Series Level Pack
- Super Crome: Bullet Purgatory Enters the Steam Early Access Atmosphere Today