Close up with the GIGABYTE R9 280 WINDFORCE 3GB OC
Taking a look at the card, you can see the massive WINDFORCE cooler pretty much takes the entire PCB, with just a little above the PCIe slot being seen. The massive triple fan setup looks great, and behind you can see the massive heat sink. Looking closer, you can see a number of copper heat pipes going throughout the card. The cooler looks like serious business and hopefully can do a good job today. We'll find out just how good it is a little later on.
Moving around the card, you can see at the back that we have a dual power connector setup, which sees a single 6-Pin PCIe and a single 8-Pin PCIe power connector. Staying across the top but moving closer to the front, you can see we have our two CrossFire connectors. While we won't be making use of them today, we will be testing out CrossFire on the R9 280 3GB in the coming weeks.
Heading over to the I/O side of things, you can see across the top that we have a large vent setup that will let the air escape out the back of the case. As for the connectivity side of things, you can see we have a single Dual-Link DVI-I connector along with an HDMI port and two MiniDP connectors. I'm a big fan of this kind of setup as it is heavy on the DisplayPort side.
What really stands out is the fact that GIGABYTE has chosen to include a MiniDP to DisplayPort connector in the bundle. It means that if you're on a DisplayPort monitor with a normal DP cable, you'll be able to use the DP connection straight away.
Looking below, you can see the clock speeds on the GIGABYTE R9 280 WINDFORCE 3GB OC. We must say that they're quite healthy with a core clock of 1072 MHz. As for the 3GB of GDDR5 that is present on the card, that comes clocked in at a nice round 5000MHz QDR.
This is a really nice overclock that is much stronger then the Sapphire we looked at, which saw a core clock of just 940MHz. Both companies, with little surprise, left the memory at stock with the 5000MHz QDR number. With this clock, we're hoping performance looks a lot stronger than it did the last time we looked at the R9 280.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [Video Card Details and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup & FPS Numbers Explained]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Sky Diver & Catzilla]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven & Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2 & Just Cause 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks -Metro Last Light & Nexuiz]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2 & Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution & Tomb Raider]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite & Battlefield 4]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - GRID Autosport]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - 4K - 3840x2160 Testing]
- Page 15 [Temperature & Sound Testing]
- Page 16 [Power Consumption Testing]
- Page 17 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Spyro Reiginited Trilogy may get subtitles added soon
- Piccolo/Cell/Kenshin and Shishio added to Jump Force roster
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate post-launch rumor, more content?
- Switch SMITE scheduled for Jan 24th launch, pre-orders live
- Amazon depleted of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate stock
- Narrow bezel on a metallic chassis MSI PS42 14 Thin & Light Laptop Review
- is a supplement this is
- 'Koala Stoner Noir' Free Demo Released Today. Full Game Updated With New Map Location And Cinema Experience
- TRENDnet launches long-range PoE+ switches
- ADATA Launches Ultimate SU630 3D QLC NAND SSD
- Razer announces the BlackWidow Lite
- ASUS ROG Announces ROG Strix Radeon RX 590 Graphics Card