Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
Crucial's retail package hasn't changed much over the years. The MX100 ships in a slim box with most of the useful information on the back.
The retail package includes a 7mm to 9.5mm adapter, and an activation key for Acronis True Image HD.
Crucial puts the "pretty" label on the bottom of the drive.
The data label is on what we would normally call the top of the drive. The label lists the model, serial and part numbers, as well as the firmware shipped on the drive.
The MX100 uses a 7mm z-height case, so it fits in many new Ultrabooks that require ultra-thin drives.
Inside we found a Marvell controller, Micron DRAM, and Micron NAND flash.
The controller is a Marvell 88SS9189-BLD2 that Crucial built the firmware for.
The flash used on the 256GB and 512GB MX100 SSDs is somewhat special. This is the new Micron 16nm flash, and it is IMFT's latest creation. In total, there are 16 flash packages; there are eight on each side of the PCB.
Micron also makes DRAM, which is a vital component for Marvell SSD controllers. Here we also see some of the capacitors used to power the DRAM if a power failure event occurs. The capacitors allow the DRAM to flush page, and table data back to the flash, before losing the data forever.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA TITAN V teardown reveals beautiful GV100 GPU
- Litecoin doubles in price to $317, isn't slowing down at all
- Ethereum reaches a new record high price of $637
- Hideo Kojima talks new Death Stranding details
- Bungie keeps Destiny 1 era rotating content lockout
- Mionix Wei Ice Cream Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Buy Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus New 64GB SM-G955UZKAXAA $824
- Unable to use all 3 M.2's for RAID 0
- AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Drivers Detailed
- 2 GPU on AB350 Gaming K4
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit
- Colorful Announces iGame GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Vulcan X Top
- Gainward Announces its GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series