FlashMAX II Manager
The HGST FlashMAX II Manager is a proprietary GUI application, automatically installed during device installation, which configures and monitors the device. The home pane provides system information and an easy-to-understand dashboard that displays system status at a glance. This displays remaining life, temperature, and drive status for each FlashMAX II in the server.
More in-depth information for each device is contained in the drive management pane. Users can perform multiple functions, such as modifying and resetting the device configuration. The FlashMAX II lets the user select Performance or Capacity modes to tune the level of overprovisioning and performance to their requirements. Performance mode will also provide more endurance due to increased overprovisioning, but Virident does not list the amount of extra endurance offered. The lifetime monitor allows users to monitor the remaining write endurance of the device.
The beacon button activates a light on the rear of the device to determine location in a rack environment. The 'additional information' area will alert users to dynamic throttling due to high temperature or crossing power thresholds. Reduced performance alleviates overheating when the drive reaches 78C, and the drive shuts down at 85C. The FlashMAX II throttles if it crosses a power consumption threshold of 24W for smaller capacities, and 26W for the 4,800GB variant. There is an option to disable power throttling by selecting the turbo mode.
The device can appear as one or two volumes if it is a large capacity variant (two PCBs). If one volume is selected the FlashMAX II automatically controls the RAID configuration and presents both devices as one logical drive to the operating system. This is an advantage over some PCIe SSDs, which require external RAID programs to unify multiple volumes.
The Performance tab monitors the read/write bandwidth and IOPS for each device in real-time. There are several CLI utilities, such as vgc-beacon, vgc-config, and vgc-monitor. These provide CLI monitoring and configuration of many of the same features as the GUI.
One utility that stands out is vcg-secure-erase.exe. This Secure Erase utility provides two levels of sanitization to wipe the drive. The Clear and Purge options are compliant with DOD 5220.22-M and NIST SP800-99 sanitize erase specifications.
Finally, there is also the option to use the HGST Device Manager (HDM). This utility combines GUI and CLI components for detailed configuration, monitoring, reporting, and diagnostics of flash devices.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Anthem made $3.5 million in microtransactions
- Nintendo's top 10 best-selling Indie titles on the Switch
- Official Assassin's Creed III Remastered PC specs revealed
- Streamer beats 5 Soulsborne games with no hits by enemies
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Cuphead's should join the roster
- Logitech G903 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Icy Dock flexiDock MB524SP-B Review - 4x 2.5" SATA, 5.25 Bay
- ASUS Prime X-470 Pro very long POST / Windows boot time
- Logitech G603 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse Review
- Aorus master or stutter master?
- EVE: Aether Wars Successfully Achieves Groundbreaking 14,000-Ship Battle Live At GDC
- Stainless Games new IP, ShockRods, set to re-ignite arena combat genre with over-the-top action
- RIFT is Celebrating its 8th Anniversary! Update Gives Players New Expert Dungeon and a Colorful Carnival
- Ubisoft Announces The PC Specifications For Assassin's Creed III Remastered
- Life Is Strange 2 Episode 3 Release Date Announced